Container gardening

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:fl, too!

No matter what, you'll STILL want to plant with some containers. May I suggest a money savings? Horsepeople use "muck buckets", which have 2 handles on them for lots of things--right now I have 2 huge geraniums growing in 2 forty quart muck buckets in my basement, until May!! Here are two types from 40 quarts and 70 quarts.
http://www.horse.com/item/tuff-stuff-muck-bucket-70-quart/BSE43/
http://www.horse.com/item/fortiflex-muck-bucket/SLT310278/
The second type comes in a variety of different colors. They are very sturdy and SSOOOO much cheaper than anybody else's planters. :D

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I refuse to spend good money on decoratvie planters. Muck buckets and plastic totes are fine for me.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I lived in an apartment.... I find a nice hidden spot and planted some wild flowers without permission one year. I'm a rouge! LOL

Good luck! I hope it works out... I'm sure they'll ask for monthly dues though. :/

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would gladly pay for a little plot of land to play with.

And I have lots of leftover wildflower seeds..it would such a shame if they fell in the empty lot behind the complex...

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The manager of my complex got back to me and said that the regional manager was going to come out and walk the property with her to see if they can find a spot suitable for a community garden. She said it's still not 100% guaranteed, but at least they are taking my suggestion seriously. I do believe there would be interest from the other residents, considering food prices these days.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Luck and let us know what happens. It's sounds great that they are willing to come and walk the property. At least they are listening and considering. That's the first step.:)

Mary

p.s. Perhaps you could canvas your neighbors and see who would be interested. This way you will have a number to present to management. Sort of like a signed petition.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh hooray! That is so awesome they didn't shoot you down right away. That means they are actually going to consider it.

With your garden knowledge, maybe they'll allow you to walk with them and make suitable suggestions about where it would work best, and even suggest size proportions for the residents to share. :D

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I was considering volunteering to oversee the project. I thought about checking out community gardens in other complexes nearby, to see what the participation is, how much they charge, how big the plots are, what pitfalls they have encountered, etc. And canvassing my neighbors is a splendid idea. Plus, I could get to know them. I just moved here, so it would be helpful.

Latest posts