Container gardening

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I can find the link I'll share it. We have a church who gave a 1/2 acre of their property as a community garden in town. You don't have to attend or anything, its just for members of our town. Everyone pays $10 a month, has to donate at least 1 hour per week to working the garden, and there is a check list of things to do each day. You are required to chose something off the list while you are there.

They have classes from the local elementary school and middle schools come to learn from the garden, as well as learn to plant. They also do searches for disease and bugs. So its a very well planned out garden.

AND everyone who works the garden gets a share with each harvest.

Plus, there is a row planted to donate to the food bank in town. I think its all wonderful!

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
One of my sons and his wife got involved with a community garden project for a while, and had a lot of fun with it. It sits in the public park area, near a softball field, and has been running for decades. They raised a lot of vegetables there, and the dirt was well worked. The rec department gardeners dropped off a lot of compost basics from their cuttings and trimmings.

They now have about 1/2 an acre lot that they are reclaiming to garden. The lady who owns the home really wasn't physically able to garden it. They are, though. And the space makes me jealous. :D:D

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I hope I hope I hope they decide to do it. I have not heard yes or no yet; and I am afraid to ask.

I will still have my patio container garden.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ask.... really... go show your UNDYING interest!!!! :D May help sway them...

Have you asked other residents to show interest and maybe sign something saying they like the idea?!

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ask.... really... go show your UNDYING interest!!!! :D May help sway them...

Have you asked other residents to show interest and maybe sign something saying they like the idea?!
I have only been there since January and don't know many of the people; but we are having a community yard sale soon and maybe I will do an informal poll and spread the word about my idea.

I really think it's time to buy the supplies to start planting in my totes. I am itching to garden. This weekend, I think.

Latest posts