Contemplating my garden - Rose pics on Page 6

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've finished out there for the day. Went out there at 7 am because it's a blast furnace later on in the day - this weather is supposed to last til Wednesday :rolleyes:

I moved my garden from the front yard to the back. For almost 30 years I grew in raised beds my father made me - out of pressure treated lumber, I know, I know, but back then we didn't, and I figure since it didn't kill us yet now all the nasties have leached out, so I'm going to keep using them. Anyways. This is what it looked like:

Roofgarden.jpg

I had a huge spot in the backyard to turn into a veggie garden. My back yard used to be a shady oasis:

trees1.jpg

But a septic install turned it into a clean slate:

blank-slate.jpg

So I cut a roughly 40x40' garden in and started improving the soil. Unfortunately there are two whale-rocks out there (I mean they're the size of whales!) that couldn't be moved, they're lurking about 18" down in a few places, so I have to work around them. Rocks were the reason I was using raised beds out front in the first place!

I thought I'd like working directly in the ground instead of in the beds. I was wrong. I missed the organization of those beds! So now I'm working on the best of both worlds. I've moved the beds out back, and I'm working on moving the dirt from the front to the back, and I've also got a good sized area to grow the large stuff that never really worked well in the beds, like corn and squash.

We never did put a back lawn in out there, I wasn't sure how I wanted things laid out, so it's very much a work in progress. Here is a shot of the whole backyard, as it sits today, with the veggie garden, the bees and the new coop under construction in the background. I had those flagstones so I laid out where I want the path from the driveway to the back door. I'm going to put edging in of some sort and fill it with stone dust (we've got lots up in Maine, I can bring it down in buckets) and then set the flagstones in that. Between the garden beds I'm going to put down landscape fabric and three or four inches of pea gravel, and put a border of landscape timbers all around the whole veggie bed.

combo-all.jpg

I will finish the lawn in sections out back as I have the time (and energy!). The front garden will be turned into a more formal herb garden, with the border remaining as it is. Still lots of work to do, but it's beginning to all come together!

Baymen Moe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Looking good Ann. Boy, was it hot today. All I did was water and then sat around the pool all day. I wish I had as much room avavilable right now as you do. I have the space but taking down lots of trees takes $. I like the looks of your lot, looks like some nice woods behind you. I actually lived on State st as a young boy, age 2-6. That was many years ago. Enjoy your project, the hard work will pay off. By the way is that a jar of tea brewing on the table?

Bill

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes it is a pot of sun tea, I just love it and always have one either brewing or in the fridge ready to drink.

The woods are owned by a neighbor down the street, you can't see them in this picture, but they contain a rhododendron collection that is gorgeous. It's almost eight acres. Hopefully it'll remain this way forever, but you never know what the real estate market is going to do these days.....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ann, I love the color of your hives! So cute...and color coordinates with your new coop!

Your garden gives new meaning to the phrase, "Move Heaven and Earth...." !!!

BTW, I just LOVE it when you guys post pics of your gardens! I have dial-up, so the posting of pics is a trial and a tribulation. Keep up the pics and the progress.....we love it! :happy_flower

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanx, Beekissed. Actually the hives were there first, I liked the color so much I wanted it used on the coop. It's a color called Rhubarb Leaf from Walmart, but when hubby went down to buy the pain for the coop he didn't think it looked like the right color on the little color sample, the green he came home with was so bright :ep Luckily we took it back to Wallyworld and they were able to make it match by adding some black to it. Anyhoo, it's a nice leafy green and really blends in with the background during the summer. It's all coming together!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks really great! :coolsun

Sometimes it takes the unexpected, or the unavoidable, to encourage progress.

What is the black over the area in the 3rd photo?

It's really coming along; it's difficult to even recognize as the same place. I hope you'll show photos again when you get the gravel in, etc.

Thanks for sharing, it's inspirational! :happy_flower

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW! Looking good. Its a big job, but you will be so happy when its done. It always feels good to accomplish something like that. Its nice to have a clean slate to work with. I can't wait to see it when its finished.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is looking very nice!! I love using raised beds, or beds sunk in the ground. It is easier to keep the water where you want it and to keep things from going all crazy. And I think it keeps down on the weeds too.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
looks great! very organized. It must be nice to have that many tall trees around for shade, even if you did lose a bunch of them. Have you got your chicks yet?

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter, the black is the loam they spread, it was done in November (2004), so no way I could put a lawn in then, and it just hasn't happened since! It will, eventually.....

Yes, Pat, I do have my chicks, I posted photos in BYC, in this thread. Too cute!