Control measures for an out of control wisteria?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm getting my butt kicked by an out of control wisteria monster. I think I'm going to wait for Gary to get home to help me using the chainsaw.

When I first planted it it was about 30 feet from the house, but then my MIL died and we built an apt off the back of the house for my FIL so now it's only about 5 feet from the house. The addition has crawl space (the house is on a slab). This wisteria is sending out ridiculous amounts of runners under the house. So here's my question, if I get like 50lbs of salt and salt the whole crawl space will that keep the wisteria from rooting under there? I know nothing will grow in the salted ground, but will it kill the soil not under the crawl space out from the house?

Or are there any other ideas? I have health issues w/ most chemicals (severe reactive airway) so am not sure about volatile chemical measures.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kassaundra, is this a plant you want to keep? Or are you planning on chainsawing it into oblivion? Are the runners roots, or do you mean its sending out vines along the ground?

Whether you're keeping it or killing it, I think I would avoid salt either way.

If you're keeping the wisteria you can put in a root barrier along the crawl space border to prevent the roots from entering that area.
The barriers are not cheap unfortunately, but are made to last for a very long time.

The roots that sprout or whatever they're doing in your crawl space can be sprayed with white vinegar, regular from the store (5% acidity) or horticultural which comes in 20% acidity. It doesn't kill down to the root, it mostly is burning and damaging what it contacts, but if you keep after them they will die.

Here's a link to root barriers. There's lots of companies that handle them so if you look around you should be able to find the best match for you.
http://www.ndspro.com/root-barrier/...t-barrier-root-control-and-damage-prevention/

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhh.... wonderful wisteria. I too would like to know if you want to keep the plant itself. It sounds as though you would like to keep it, just prevent all those runners under the addition.

Does the crawl space not have a moisture barrier over the bare earth? If this is the case, one preventative measure, treating the symptom, not curing it, would be to put a layer of 6 mil black poly down.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Borax soap will kill the microbial life in that area for quite some time. If there is no rain in crawl space there is little harm in it spreading and water spreads very little laterally (unless like a flood)

I don't know that this will stop it though! Wisteria is really tenacious. I've never had it spread laterally though. I am stumped. Let me know what works.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes I do want to keep the main plant, I don't think I could get rid of it now if I wanted to. It's been there over 8 years, and I do love it, the flowers are awesome to take pics of and the scent wonderful.

It is spreading laterally like nothing I have ever seen it has upwards of 25 thick as sharpie markers or thicker runner roots all disappearing under the crawl space, the ones I have removed so far have roots attatching them to the ground every couple of feet, some already so deep I can't tear them out w/ my bare hands. I have new wisteria growing from some of these runners as much as 30ish feet from the plant and in the side yards (the main plant is in the back yard)

Why would you not use salt? I just don't want to kill anything not under the crawl space. I was thinking it wouldn't get wet w/ running water under there so what ever I put there would most likely stay put.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am wondering, do you see leaves growing under the house, in the crawlspace? I am wondering where the roots are getting enough light for that. One of the only good reasons for living in zone 4- everything dies! I have a wisteria that surely would take over the world, but then winter comes! Is there a way you could do air pruning? Dig down a few feet from the plant and cut off all the roots that go towards the house?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We were both typing at the same time! Years ago I sawed my wisteria to the ground. I forgot the details of why I thought that was a good plan...I thought for sure I had killed it. Today, it is growing on a trellis over my driveway and is basically a "natural" garage. In your zone, I doubt you can kill it- maybe just keep it under control. Good luck!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No leaves that I can see under the crawl space just the thick stems that are rooting into the ground then when they pop out somewhere else, literally 20-30 feet away they leaf out there. I didn't realize it was going on during the summer b/c of the thick cover of leaves.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How can something this beautiful be such a pain in my @#$%

7236_wisteria_2.jpg

7236_wisteria.jpg

:watering