Convenience never Tasted this Good

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerweaver, woodburning modem! That's funny!
Well I just finally gave up my rotary dial cell phone for a more high tech 'flip"phone. :rolleyes:
LOL, I've heard flip phones are dinosaurs now that everything has i- in front of it. I love it when people with i-things visit and assure me their latest-greatest will work here, silently implying I'm an i-idiot, and after walking all the trails looking for a signal finally return defeated.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver, I have a flip phone. Few phones work out here either. The phone is for trips to town only. Otherwise it is turned off to conserve the battery.

DS asures me that text messages will go through even if there are few or no bars. That's about all the phone is good for.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My parents still have a rotary wall phone in the kitchen. I once asked my 10 year niece if she knew how use it, she kept trying to press the finger holes. I remember when pushbutton phones first came out, they dailed about 4 seconds faster then rotary. A must if you needed to call fire or police.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Haha! That's so cute NYboy! View attachment 4898

I have a popcorn maker that kid#1 gave me for Christmas one year.
You put the oil and popcorn kernels in the base and the domed lid on. It has a metal screed thingy in the base that sweeps around and keeps the popcorn from burning. Only takes minutes to make a huge bowl full.

I use the same contraption for making popcorn, and after years of making popcorn I recently learned the way to make PERFECT popcorn (no old maids!)
  • 3 Tbsp peanut or grapeseed oil (high smoke point oil)
  • 1/3 cup of high quality popcorn kernels
  • 2 Tbsp or more (to taste) of butter
  • Salt to taste
Method
1 Heat the oil in your saucepan or popcorn popper on medium high heat.

2 Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.

3 When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. (Count out loud; it's fun to do with kids.) This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.

4 Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner. Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper). Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.

5 Melt butter and pour over your lovely popcorn

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hm-m-m. :confused: I recently tossed my electric (oil) popcorn maker since it had been unused and sitting in the basement for nearly 20 years. When I get into a popcorn rut -- usually in the winter in front of the fire -- I use the air popper, telling myself that it is healthier. :drool

That's before I use the microwave to nuke plenty of butter to cover the snack and get the salt to stick properly.:plbb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fats and Sugar?

Okay, I can go for that ..

. otherwise, it's just 30 minutes chewing on 99% air followed by 15 minutes trying to clean the 1% outta my teeth.

Steve
who promises to get in a little garden activity, today

Latest posts