Corn dang it, full disclosure.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
GMO corn fights rootworm larvae as well as corn borer, ear worms. I have seen those insects make what should have been 180+ bushel corn into <50 bushel corn.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your ear is missing already. You are seeing what is left.... where did you get your seed?

See how what is left of your husks are level as cut off by a pair of scissors? Are you sure deer aren’t getting to your corn? Something is eating the ear before it even shoots silks.

Can you explain how you can tell that? I've never had this problem, but it is really intriguing to me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m a lil slow, explain what? (OK bro and sis, we need no childhood memories)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn you said the ear is missing already. I'm staring at the photo but I just see a corn plant. (I've only planted corn 1-2 times) What is it you see that tells you the ear is missing already?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tassel first, ear shoots second, silks third, then pollen. No shoots, very few silks. It has to be physical damage or a weird genetic anomaly. Since what’s left of the husks are cut off like a pair of scissors and the silks that are left are equal length, I suspect deer or some larger animal. Coons, skunks, etc, climb the stalk. Stalk breaks because of their weight.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn is just starting to tassel now. The couple plants that have tassel , ears, and silks are some other type of corn not golden bantam. The seed came from sand hill and I get a different variety here and there with their seeds usually. No deer are getting in the garden Now that the fence up, there are a lot of other plants they would love to eat and are not damaged. This is the first time trying the golden bantom heirloom corn, usually I plant hybrid sweet corn. Funny thing is that picture I posted with the silk and no ear, that silk is growing out of the stalk right there you cannot pull it out lol. I will go out and try to find another ear to examine this evening. I am determined to grow more than just chicken corn this year.

Latest posts