corn question...

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am attempting to grow corn. My corn plants are flowering (if that is the correct term) but two are only about 2.5 feet tall, the rest are shorter. What is going on???

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sheps4her said:
I am attempting to grow corn. My corn plants are flowering (if that is the correct term) but two are only about 2.5 feet tall, the rest are shorter. What is going on???
They are tasselling out. As for why they are shot, it could be lack of water, lack of fertilizer, to close to Black Walnut trees, or any other number of things. You need to re-evaluate the growing season so far and the area you have them planted in to really know why they might be stunted.

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
great. :( I was so hoping to have corn!! oh well, guess I will have to break the news to DH. I just don't get it. I watered, But maybe not enough.... No walnut trees around. :( :( :( :(

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
corn needs alot of nutrients & some corn varieties are shorter than others. It may still get ears. If not have your soil tested next year at your extension office. We didnt expect much from ours last year as it was poor soil, and we didnt get much. It may take a couple years to fortify the soil. Just one of the things it could be...

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are starting to tassel at around 2.5 feet I wouldn't worry too much. Usually plants will start to tassel and shoot up as they start to produce ears. Mine do it every year.

As long as the leaves are a nice green color then I wouldn't worry too much about soil nutrients since corn is a very good indicator or how the soil is doing. Red striping on the tips of leaves indicated a nitrogen or potash deficiency, if there is no obvious sign of these problems then I'm sure they don't exist. IMO.

I would top dress with some high nitrogen compost and you should be okay. Next year (or you might even get away with it this year) plant a few bean plants amongst your corn, this will help pull nitrogen into the soil and serve double purpose as a support for your beans.

Although corn has shallow roots you should water deeply to encourage good support. If the stalks seem weak at the base near the roots then you may have not watered deeply enough. If they seem sturdy and strong then I'm guessing you did a good job.

If they are starting to tassel right now you should start to see little silks form at the base of each leaf near the nodes. If you don't have a good air circulation or planted corn in long single or double rows instead of blocks you may need to help with pollination. I usually break off a piece of the tassels from a few strong plants and sprinkle the pollen around. Maybe it helps, maybe I'm just crazy. :p

Good luck

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
the plants look great. the leaves are nice and green, no stripes. They are just really short. the tallest one is about 2.5 feet. the rest are way smaller and they are tassling out also. The stalks are nice and sturdy. And I was worried about them shadowing other plants!! Who knows, maybe they will still grow taller. It just seems strange to me that everything seems so small. I really don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first garden. I was just expecting things to be bigger. :watering

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What variety are you growing, Sheps4her?

We grow Painted Mountain, and depending upon soil health etc., they can tassel that small, and still produce full sized ears.

As your soil gets into better condition, and the soil's dug deeper, they should tassel taller.

I'd do as OaklandCityFarmer suggests, and help the pollination, plus dress with a good compost.

Good luck! :)