Corn Spacing

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've not had much success with corn in the past but this year I'm trying out an experiment, planting it in a 4x4ft raised bed, polytunneled, so I can plant it earlier than normal.

I'm just wondering how far apart I should space my corn? I'm thinking about planting some peaches 'n' cream.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
As far as spacing goes, I follow what the farmers do, which is about 12-15" apart. Behind us they ONLY rotate seed corn and soybeans. I'm going to wait to put my corn in when I see my neighbors plant theirs. Are there any farms close to you? Watch when they plant, because the farmers will put in their crop as EARLY as is possible to plant and not lose to a frost.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Farmers don't seed out until June-ish as far as I know..

My neighbour is a dairy cow farmer and has corn behind our house and I swear the rows are maybe 4" apart... I could even go measure today! I know theres no way in the height of summer that someone could walk between the rows, I think with 12"-15" spacing you could but the corn fields are so super dense here.

Of course the farmers aren't planting in polytunnels, so I reckon I could plant out earlier than June.. maybe late April as my polytunnels seem to be keeping heat well overnight even now in March.

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I plant in raised beds as well and I find if you really have fertile soil than you can space corn about 8-10". I did this last year and planted pole beans with my corn, the beans provided some nitrogen and I got very good results. My beds are 3 ft wide and I do three rows per bed.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! I have some small 4f x 4ft beds that I'm using for tomatoes, but I figured why not build an extra one and try out some corn in it. I'd love to know if I can start them earlier than the farmers. I'm confident this'll work.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always plant way closer together than the "suggested" spacing. JMO. I put 3 seeds in each hole. Remember not to plant in a long row - they need to be next to each other to pollinate. Good luck with your experiment. (If it does not work, you can always plant again!)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do not plant when I see others plant. If you have anyone planting corn close to you when you plant, wait 3 weeks or try to get yours in earlier. So they don't set silks at the same time. You don't want cross pollination to occur.

I plant mine 3-4" apart and then thin to about 12". And plant deep in a raised bed. At least 4". I also soak my corn for 48 hours before I put it out... helps do early germination and you get a better germination rate.

These things are easier to do in small scale planting. :D

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks vfem, I am trying to get them in way earlier than my farmer-neighbour would. I don't really want my corn tasting like cow corn lol.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Thanks vfem, I am trying to get them in way earlier than my farmer-neighbour would. I don't really want my corn tasting like cow corn lol.
Yeah that's my concern around here... but they flip flop their crops each year so I don't know until last minute what they sprout. Last year was sweet potatoes... who knows what it will be this year?!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
lupinfarm said:
Yeah that's my concern around here... but they flip flop their crops each year so I don't know until last minute what they sprout. Last year was sweet potatoes... who knows what it will be this year?!
haha, for the last two years it has been cow corn in the field behind my house. the deer are too busy munching on his corn to bother with my garden ;)