Corn Thread for 2014

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No it's a popcorn. I grew it for looks. Might pop some will have to see how much I get. It's beautiful stuff I'm glad I grew it. I'm impressed I got what I did given how the season had been here. Will be planting it again next year for sure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are some beautiful, perfect ears of corn! They are full, no worms :sick and just gorgeous! It's so cute that you daughter took it for show and tell! :love

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There's some better pics. There are 2 smaller ears that are just as nice.

Thank you for the kind words Bay I'm very excited & pleased with how it turned out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are these dry ears? They are perfect! Soooooo......... pretty!! Ha! Now you KNOW you have to post pics of shelling it (kids) popping it and eating it! What a fun sounding family activity, far, far from opening a cellophane package of microwave, imitation butter flavor popcorn. Does anybody but us old farts even remember popcorn meant shaking a pot on the stove?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those ears were picked the day of the first pics I posted.

I have an air popper was a Christmas present so had planned on using it that way.

I was going to pick the rest here soon and dry to pop a few & save for next year and share with my TEG friends.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, finally got to pick some of the Glass Gem i was growing. i was hoping to keep them on the stalk a little longer but something keeps getting to them. i'm thinking it is a bird of some sort since the stalks aren't getting broken except for the ones i planted my pole beans too close and now they're weighing them down.

any ideas on how to protect the stalks and ears in the future? i've thought about putting a cage around them/ or maybe some sort of fortress like Marshall does with his beans. btw these are about 6-7" long. i have a few longer ears still on the stalks that haven't been touched yet.

2014 Glass Gem Corn 1.JPG

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, i was wondering if your corn did something mine did. it seems to send out multiple stalks and each has about 4 ears. right now there are lots of very small ears on those smaller 'branches' but i don't think i will get anything useable before the frost takes them out in the next couple weeks.

this is the first year i can say i successfully grew corn from seed to produce ears.

Latest posts