Corn Thread for 2014

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A question for anybody who might be able to answer it -

When it comes to the corns that do have colored leaves, like Japonica Striped Maize or maybe the painted Mountain (If it does have colored leaves) - does the coloration appear during the seedling stage or does it take longer to develop? Or would the coloration depend on the weather, sun, etc?

If the colors do appear early, I'm thinking that this would be a useful tool for screening for possible crosses with GM corn early on.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn novice speaking...but for me the Japonica Striped maize had coloration early on. I think the PM didn't start coloring until a little later,
I should see if I ever took pictures of it when it was young.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful corn Chickie'sMoma and Jared!

I'm sure that you'll get it Hal! Painted Mountain has a lot of genetic diversity, so if your Australian climate proves to harsh for some of them, others should survive. How much corn did you plant?
Enough for 300 plants, last year it was available for the first time here but sadly the one place with it was selling it 30 seeds for $4.95 and to be honest they ripped me off on almost every pack most had 20 or 25 when they specified 30 (not up to 30 or approx 30)
I managed to get enough to grow 300 plants from another source, I'm growing each at different times and assessing them to see if they are both the real deal and pure and then I might combine the both to make sure I don't suffer inbreeding issues.

A question for anybody who might be able to answer it -

When it comes to the corns that do have colored leaves, like Japonica Striped Maize or maybe the painted Mountain (If it does have colored leaves) - does the coloration appear during the seedling stage or does it take longer to develop? Or would the coloration depend on the weather, sun, etc?

If the colors do appear early, I'm thinking that this would be a useful tool for screening for possible crosses with GM corn early on.
Painted Mountain starts to get leaf color at 1' high, maybe a little earlier and the tillers are starting at the same time too.
Edit: I double checked while watering today and I have some stunning leaf colors and patterns I have ones with red edges, red stripes and such.

Last edited:

Latest posts