Corn woes!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I picked my first ear of corn today, just for the heck of it and it was gorgeous. I have quite a few that are getting nice sized, but I noticed brown mush in most of them when I pulled back the husk to look. I opened this one and sure enough, a worm. My question is, is there anything I can do to keep these suckers out next year? I really hate the thought of eating corn that had a worm pooping in it!

419-2.jpg

418-2.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that Jordan. Don't despair.

For right now if you have any ears left you can spray the silks with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) which will prevent the worms from entering the silks.

Next time around plant some cucumbers around the corn, they have been known to repel corn earworms and raccoons. Also, you can brush mineral oil on the new silks to prevent them as well.

Good luck!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BT is your best bet I think. My Rodale book says there are cultivars with tight husks that are more resistant, but doesn't say what they are. Google says "Argent," "Country Gentleman" and "Silver Cross Bantam" are resistant. ETA: Found a Clemson U. extension article that says "Stay Gold," "Victory Golden," "Golden Security" and 'Silvergent" are also resistant to earworms. What about putting clothespins on the ends of the husks to hold them shut? Apparently the bugs get in via the tips of the ears.

Just found this article that says you can make wormwood, garlic and onion tea and spray that to keep the bugs off. It might be too late in your case though. I've actually got a ton of wormwood growing wild in my garden, and I bought way too much garlic to make garlic pickles today, so maybe I'll do that. My corn is just at the tassel-silk stage now...

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank You! What in the world is Bt? lol. This is my first year growing corn, so I've just been watering it. Honestly, worms never crossed my mind, and I know they should have. Thanks for the help folks. Thanks for the link, Rosalind. I dont even know what Wormwood is, but I'll check it out!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Thank You! What in the world is Bt? lol. This is my first year growing corn, so I've just been watering it. Honestly, worms never crossed my mind, and I know they should have. Thanks for the help folks. Thanks for the link, Rosalind. I dont even know what Wormwood is, but I'll check it out!
Bt is a naturally occurring bacteria that attacks many insects in their larval stages. It mostly targets soft bodied insects like caterpillars. It is used in a wide variety of applications and is safe in organic gardening. You can usually find in sold under Foray or Dipel.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, Carlos! Im glad to hear its safe in Organic Gardening because my grandma really hates to use pesticides. We definitely arent Organic though, so I dont know what she's talkin about,lol.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I've actually got a ton of wormwood growing wild in my garden, and I bought way too much garlic to make garlic pickles today, so maybe I'll do that. My corn is just at the tassel-silk stage now...
Rosalind, is there any way you could post a picture of wormwood for me. I looked and could not find anything but poor photographs. I think I have seen it here but not sure. I do know that I can make the garlic and onion tea. I hate it when we have to use sevin on the tassels.

One more question will the wormwood tea or the garlic and onion tea work on Japanease Beetles? That was the main pest we had on our corn. What other worms we found did very little damage.

Latest posts