Corn

Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in Zone 7b. I planted sweet corn in mid April but it didn't get very tall. We got about 10 ears from about 20 stalks. It tasted great but there wasn't near enough of it. Is it too late to plant more?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How close did you plant your corn and how many rows did you have?

What variety did you use?

These factors may have something to do with why you had a little corn this year.

As for the next crop. Your average frost day is sometime in early-October, right? If this is true you have just about enough time to plant a very early variety. Some mature in as little as 60-65 days. If your summers are still nice and warm I would recommend planting now and going for it.

Good luck!

Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't remember the variety(got stupid and threw the package away...lol). There were only 2 rows but the tallest was only about 4 ft tall and the smallest was about half that size. I planted the rows about 2 ft apart. I guess I should have planted more than 2 rows. I'll try it again. Any suggestion on a variety? We are usually pretty warm until about mid October. We haven't even hit our peak temps yet.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Golden Bantam is a classic open pollinated heirloom favorite that matures relatively early, about 75 days. Bears very well often with 2 ears per stalk.

I'm sure most garden catalogs have a good selection of early variety corn, most of which are probably hybrids.

Early Sunglow Hybrid is a variety from Burpee which I've heard is pretty good and has a very early maturity rate.

Definitely you should plant more than 2 rows. It is better to plant corn in blocks of four than in narrow rows. We plant our corn 6 inches apart on all sides. My guess is you probably had a problem with pollination.

Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'll pick some up tomorrow and keep you posted on the progress. Thank you for all of your help!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just watch your havest length on the corn you choose and should be ok. We have also always planted 6 inches apart but always put 3 kernels in each spot. Therefore you get 2 ears out of the same space and they help pollinate each other. For next year try some silver queen, we realy like it.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Definitely plant in a block, but then go ahead and hand pollinate as well, it can't hurt! :)

Golden Bantam is a good variety, and for something different, there's Painted Mountain. It looks like "Indian corn", colorful, but is multi-purpose. Fresh eating, corn meal etc.

Also, it seems to handle poor soil, aside from being a quick producer on small plants. :)

If you grow either of these varieties, you can keep a few ears, and you'll have more seeds than you can imagine for next year, and not have to buy it! I often just let it dry on the cob, because I'm busy at harvest time, then use it for fall decorations, removing them from the cob the following spring. It's a benefit of open pollinates. :)

Good luck! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Definitely plant in a block, but then go ahead and hand pollinate as well, it can't hurt! :)

Golden Bantam is a good variety, and for something different, there's Painted Mountain. It looks like "Indian corn", colorful, but is multi-purpose. Fresh eating, corn meal etc.

Also, it seems to handle poor soil, aside from being a quick producer on small plants. :)

If you grow either of these varieties, you can keep a few ears, and you'll have more seeds than you can imagine for next year, and not have to buy it! I often just let it dry on the cob, because I'm busy at harvest time, then use it for fall decorations, removing them from the cob the following spring. It's a benefit of open pollinates. :)

Good luck! :)
Indian Corn is a great variety and they do make fall decorations. People asked last year during Thanksgiving if we bought the dried corn cobs on the wall!

We want to try some Black Aztec next year, we'll see how that comes out.

Latest posts