cornflowers (should be cone flowers)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
vfem said:
I have purple cone flower... they are really purple too and not pink... I don't think I have pictures though? I stole the seeds from the NC Zoo where they have a ton of wildflower meadows.

They really do have purple though.

(I have mostly yellow though... the mini coneflowers too, and those are my favorite!!!!)
So now let me see here. You have now stole not only an Elephant, now you are taking there plants too?
Oh yes, I'm a dirty criminal! I also took some hibiscus and poppy seeds!!! I'm a horrible thief, but what they charge to get in these days.... and you can't feed children to the bears?! They deserve it!!!

:gig

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh yes, I'm a dirty criminal! I also took some hibiscus and poppy seeds!!! I'm a horrible thief, but what they charge to get in these days.... and you can't feed children to the bears?! They deserve it!!!

:gig
I can see how you got away with the seeds but how did you get that Elephant out of there? :hu

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lavender2 - :ep that pic is gorgeous! Love the coneflowers. I figured some of the new varieties might not be able to set seed, but wasn't sure....
And...what's the yellow flower in the back? is that a type of Rudbeckia?

seedcorn - Hey, you're not too far from me! I'm originally from South Bend...we have a lot of family there still.
About starting the seed...man, it's getting pretty cold here...I don't know if I would start them inside and move them out this time of year....by the time you get them going the ground might be frozen. :idunno It would be fine to sprinkle the seed outside now...not sure when they would germinate though. Otherwise I would just wait till next year to get started. Maybe someone else will chime in about this....If it were me I would just wait...:/

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cwhit.. I agree with your advice!
The tall yellow monster in the back is Heliopsis 'Bressingham Doubloon'... ya want some...:lol:
It gets 7ft tall, real pretty fully double flowers, but has a bad habit of toppling over when it rains.
The deer even munched it back twice... I thought their handy pinching back might help... nope... it shot right up before I could figure out a way to cage it up...:rolleyes:

seedcorn... you can also start coneflowers using the winter sown method ... http://www.wintersown.org/
They will germinate later though, as the soil warms in Spring, and may not be so apt to bloom the first year.
Very easy way of starting many perennials though.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
That is such a pretty pretty picture. I love it.

I have been planning my garden for a while now and I piced pink, white and pastel lavender to lavender flowers. so I will start my conflowers this winter to see how they get going. :D
So sorry! I missed your comment while flipping the page...

Thank you! After many years of gardening in mostly shade, I finally raised this area up so the pond won't flood it out. I then went a little nuts! :happy_flower
The dreaming and planning is the best part... have fun!

Latest posts