cornflowers (should be cone flowers)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
See... I misread, and turned out I 'interpreted' correctly. :lol:
Well I think you and Ron could start a reading business, you two are on the mark! ;)

I will take up the Hipno part

spiral3.gif

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ooooooo that is cool!

It is especially fun if you cross your eyes! LOL

Ron

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I've been given access to a bed of purple ones? How do you propogate them? I really don't want to dig them up (altho owner said I could take a couple)

I'm using them around church building so we don't have to mow so much. If I learn how in a year, I'll start them in ditch by road so even less mowing............hate to mow!!!! :cool:
Coneflowers do great from seed! If I don't cut mine back after they flower, little seedlings will come up ALL OVER the place. :rolleyes:

If you do plant the seed now, remember it takes about 2 years for the seedlings to get big enough to produce blooms. Sounds like this person has a big patch...I'm sure there are some little seedlings around that wouldn't be too hard to get out. I would take some seed, and a few seedlings or small plants too. That way you would have some guaranteed color next year, and more plants would keep coming up in the future.

Hope your project goes well! :thumbsup

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cwhit - awesome on telling me about the two year wait. I guess that is why they sell em in pots at the nursery. I have some seeds that I was going to start in the spring. But I guess I will start them and put them in in a year.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
cwhit - awesome on telling me about the two year wait. I guess that is why they sell em in pots at the nursery. I have some seeds that I was going to start in the spring. But I guess I will start them and put them in in a year.
You're in LA? You could probably start them and plant them right now...if they really like where you put them you might get a bloom by next year....esp. since you are in LA and you have a longer, milder season. :idunno

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Obsessed most perennials do take a year to mature and then bloom the next.

An annual will start and bloom then die all in one season.

It is a bit confusing talking about two different flowering plants at the same time.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In this region we can 'fool' the biennial types and 2nd-year bloomers into producing flowers in one season by planting them in the Fall and holding them over as plants through the winter.

It is hard to explain but since we do not get deep freezes we find that there even some frost tender perennials that can thrive in my climate. Sometimes what some folks call annuals we can treat as a perennial; for instance snapdragons become perennial and dianthus and such. I can even get away with leaving a Geranium outside through the winter, but I wont! LOL

As for things like Hollyhocks, planting them in the Fall will fool them through the winter into believing they have actually cycled two seasons. My coneflowers/Echinacea seem like first year bloomers because of this very effect.

Mild Winters are such a blessing!

My only issue with Purple Coneflowers is where is the Purple?? I see Pink! I have always seen pink.

However, have you seen all the new colors and varieties these days?

echinacea_green_envy2.jpg

per-echinacea%20tomatosoup%20TN.jpg

per-echinacea%20tikitorch%20TN.jpg

I still see pink not purple!
echinaceamagnus.jpg

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
In this region we can 'fool' the biennial types and 2nd-year bloomers into producing flowers in one season by planting them in the Fall and holding them over as plants through the winter.

It is hard to explain but since we do not get deep freezes we find that there even some frost tender perennials that can thrive in my climate. Sometimes what some folks call annuals we can treat as a perennial; for instance snapdragons become perennial and dianthus and such. I can even get away with leaving a Geranium outside through the winter, but I wont! LOL

As for things like Hollyhocks, planting them in the Fall will fool them through the winter into believing they have actually cycled two seasons. My coneflowers/Echinacea seem like first year bloomers because of this very effect.

Mild Winters are such a blessing!

My only issue with Purple Coneflowers is where is the Purple?? I see Pink! I have always seen pink.

However, have you seen all the new colors and varieties these days?

http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/plants/echinacea_green_envy2.jpg

http://www.buddgardens.com/buddgardens/per-echinacea tomatosoup TN.jpg

http://www.buddgardens.com/buddgardens/per-echinacea tikitorch TN.jpg

I still see pink not purple!
http://www.buddgardens.com/buddgardens/echinaceamagnus.jpg

Ron
Those are drop-dead gorgeous! :th

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are so gorgeous Ron. I have a packet of Seeds for Purple (Pink, I guess) cone flower. I may try to start some now.

Latest posts