cosmos

muller3acers

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I found a new type of flower this year and it's simple but very pretty. The city that I live in put some abandoned fields to these flowers and it is very pretty to see.:rainbow-sun

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I, too, found out how pretty Cosmos can be. I had never heard of them before I got some seed packets in the spring. They are very easy to grow and have a long bloom time. The bees and butterflies seem to like them. Next spring, I'm gonna seed even more.

rosehunter8

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love Cosmos......very easy to grow in many soils.....I started growing orange ones 3 years ago....they seed like crazy.....just got done doing some deadheading since its still warm here.....more buds are popping out:)
....the white ones I planted aren't flowering all that much :(...2 flowers from 4 plants....nice looking plants though...:cool:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have many shades of pink and purple of these in my front yard and they are HUGE! Still blooming like its summer!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These are one of the few flowers that do well in my most difficult bed. It's in shade for most of the day, and then gets blasted w/sun from 3:00 on.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine get full sun half the day.... They are actually taller then I am right now! They even over take my spider flowers (which has their first bloom today! Weird!?)

rosehunter8

Leafing Out
Reaction score
rosehunter8 said:
I love Cosmos......very easy to grow in many soils.....I started growing orange ones 3 years ago....they seed like crazy.....just got done doing some deadheading since its still warm here.....more buds are popping out:)
....the white ones I planted aren't flowering all that much :(...2 flowers from 4 plants....nice looking plants though...:cool:
Update!...the white cosmos I planted is finally flowering and Im hoping they get done before it freezes here...crossing my fingers.....I didnt realize this type took so long to flower.....

5744_picture_068.jpg

Oh here's my orange ones

5744_picture_045.jpg

citygirlinthecountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Be aware that cosmos will reseed like crazy if left to run amuck. I planted a couple of packs last year and they not only grew back this year, they pretty much took over the front yard. I pulled them all out in late August and they all grew back again. I got TWO crops of them this year, all from last year's seeds! They died off last week after two nights of hard freeze.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love cosmos. They are a happy, pretty little flower. Thankfully my yard is such that they can spread willy-nilly and it still looks fine. Just know that they are a tenacious reseeder.

:mow

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well Mine went nuts too... so HUGE I had to stake up several plants that were spreading my from walkway to the driveway. Some got as tall as me and I trimmed them back. In fact, I still have new blooms opening on a few after I thought they were dead after the frosty nights of last week. Nope... they're back! LOL

I did plant these in march in pots, and then put them in the ground where they are now in July. Its just insane how huge they get. But the amount of bloom and size it worth it.

Latest posts