Cottonwood Help

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a cottonwood tree that seemed to be doing fine early spring and getting buds. Here it is June and it has never budded out. I have scratched the bark on the limbs and it is still green but it seems the buds just dried up. There is new growth on the lower trunk. This tree is about 15 ft should I cut it down at the new growth and let it start over?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cottonwoods need lots of water. i think if it was mine i would leave it alone and water it really good and if it sprouts out from the root/lower trunk, then i'd cut it back.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to know the answer too! I have a red maple that is about 5' tall that is doing the same thing.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well it has been getting watered really well we have had alot of rain and I have always babied that tree. I have already cut the lower trunk growth back once this spring in hopes the energy would go to the buds. Guess I'll just have to cut it and let it start again :/

This tree is about 7 years old my goats kept eating it down so it got fenced in and has been coddled ever since it's 3rd year