Cottonwood log

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did you go about hollowing it out?
I'd like to do the same thing with some cedar logs.

THANX RICH

I used a chainsaw, it is not the safest thing to do I know. I would suggest chainsaw chaps leather boots and eye protection and sharp chain. I also considered using a circular saw and cutting down the length of the log every 1/2" and then cross cutting it every 1/2" to make a 1/2" grid then use large chisel to remove wood. Repeat to desired depth. I am sure there are several other ways to do it, if I do another one I would use chainsaw again.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a really good use for a cottonwood log. Especially considering how useless that wood is for heat, you need to pour gasoline on it just to keep it burning. ;)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a really good use for a cottonwood log. Especially considering how useless that wood is for heat, you need to pour gasoline on it just to keep it burning. ;)

Yes I tried burning some of it in shop and it never put off any heat. It is good for making cooking utensils when it dries it gets pretty hard.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are some more pics of DW succulents she got interested in them when we went to a wedding a few years ago. They were used as center pieces on the tables. A made a nursery area for her last spring. She planted one of those succulent tiles from lowes and a few other sedums in it and it grew like crazy and filled in quickly. So she has been robbing it to make her containers.also some smaller log planters I made last year from same cotton wood tree.