Could You have Survived 18 Century Life ?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daddy had to go to survival school in WA before being deployed to the Vietnam war. He HAD to catch a rabbit and kill it and clean it. He HAD to survive cus that is simply what needed to be done during that school. Frankly, I don't know why since he was a squadron commander at CCK AFB in Taiwan. But if he had been shot down, then there was the training to fall back on.

I'm sure many of us here would survive just fine.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I was dropped into the 1800’s tomorrow, I’d be in sad shape.
But if I had been born there, I’m sure that I would be equipped to survive just fine. Perhaps I’d even consider myself to be thriving.

Or… I’d have been one of the many who never made it out of childhood….

Hummmm..... Good fodder for daydreams.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, being a childless widow, I would probably have ended up back home with my parents YEARS ago.
As a matter of fact, having a temper and a mind that constantly asks 'WHY?" - I would likely have never left....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember ladies you would have very little rights, basically you would be your husbands property same as his dog.

Dogs can bite and they can run away. That'd be enough rights for me! :gig

Good point, though...life was most rough on the women. Lots of hard work, hard childbirth, loosing children to disease, losing husbands to accidental death and such, making do with very little or nothing~ depending on your worldly riches.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my living room I have whats called a fainting couch. They where very popular in south during Victorian times. They where for when woman where about to pass out from heat stroke, hopefully one was close bye to collapse into. Kind of crazy now a days but normal back then

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm doubting the more poor women in the south had a fancy couch for fainting onto while working the fields. :gig I'm thinking those fancy fainting couches were for the idle rich ladies with their corsets pulled a little too tight.... :D

Latest posts