Cover crops

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What experience do you guys have with using cover crops? I tried it last year with Austrian winter peas & perennial rye grass. The peas worked fine, but since the rye grass is perennial, it was hard work digging it up this spring. It is better just to use something that will be killed off by frost?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
turnips, kale, collards to eaqual about 90% of the seed and the rest I use winter wheat.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
5 in central kentucky but it works well in central illinios where family lives.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have great experiences with cover crops; both in winter, and summer.

I really like Austrian Field Peas, Clover, Vetch and Favas, Winter Rye for harder soil, Buckwheat etc.

What do you mean by, digging it up? Do you mean taking it out, or turning it under? When I use it, I use it as a temporary cover crop, and don't think about it being perennial. It's there to dig in, as the deep roots are the appeal, in part, and then go back to the soil. Tilling it under would make that easy work. :)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess my husband just slacked on the tilling! :rolleyes: After it was done, there were still patches growing up. I ended up pulling those out.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try Buckwheat this year, as it is supposed to winterkill and one can plant right into the root system. I'm going to sow some of it in my empty bed soon, as there is bare soil showing and I want to get it under cover.

Anyone have bad results with buckwheat?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love growing buckwheat, and do every year!

I grow it as a summer cover; weeds can't compete.

Don't forget to take back seed from some if it, so you don't need to buy it next year. :)

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the concept of cover cropping?

Are you letting them get to the point where you have something to harvest? Or, are you plowing them under before that point? I seem to recall Oakland saying something about cutting them back and planting amongst them.

Is there a good source of information or is someone willing to summarize what works best and what is to be gained by various cover crops? I know that they provide nutrients to the soil in the off-season, but how does one go about learning what would be the best cover crop to replace what was used by the previous planting and then to know what would do best in the same area because of what the cover crop provided to the soil?

Latest posts