Cover crops

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Please have patience for such a newbie.......What crops do you use for cover crops? What are the benefits? What are the easiest to grow in VA?

MC

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are really enjoying buckwheat. It is a super fast crop. Into flower in 30 days. We use it as green manure and also just to keep the weeds down, in areas we aren't planting in. The bees love it, and the seeds are easy to harvest.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd totally go with buckwheat too. It is a warm weather crop and fast growing, if not maybe the fastest growing cover crop. It will suppress weeds and then you can mow it down and till it under in time for a fall garden. For this purpose, don't let it go to seed. Let the bees enjoy the flowers, then mow it down after about 40 days.

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can I just use the soil all ready in the ground? (That sounds kind'a silly :rolleyes:) or do I need my good soil?
MC

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you are having problems with root nematodes annual marigold tilled in just as it flowers is a good way to rid your ground of them. Annual (not perennial) rye makes a good Winter crop to be tilled under as early in Spring as you can work the ground.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm a big fan of crimson red clover, the main reason is to hold back erosion during the winter months.
left was planted in mid oct, the right was planted in sept.
DSC_0003.JPG

since our main garden is small and able to turn by april, we are never able to really benefit from introducing of the full potential of it. but it is one of the highest nitrogen fixing cover crops out there..

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm also a red clover fan but for different reasons. It is a high nutrient forage crop for my rabbits and the extra, if there is any, can be dried as hay that is every bit as good as alfalfa.