Cow manure

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't keep breeding stock. I just buy feeder pigs, happy to support the people who keep breeding stock.

@flowerbug I don't blame you for cleaning up the road kill, it can get pretty stinky. But a fresh deer in the winter? I'd be all over that. LOL

Last summer we had a hog killing party. I couldn't get a slaughter date that wasn't months away, so we did them ourselves. Here's a link to it, if you want to read it, but there are slaughter pictures. Don't look if you don't like to see a pig getting cut up.

https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/baymules-feeder-pigs-2017.15250/

i'll skip that for the moment (waiting on pizza :) )...

there are so many you'd be doing that all day, every day. they used to have a phone number you could call to get them picked up by prisoners who needed to get out to do things, but now i see the sherriff hauling a trailer full of them from time to time and no more prisoners...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned from these guys that were buying quail at a chicken auction to skin my chickens. I prefer 2-4 month old roosters to send to "freezer camp" and they skin very easily. No feathers! You just find a place to cut the carcass skin and peel right off

but i like the skin! best part of the chicken other than the legs/thighs (with bones in please)... fresh off the grill... now i'm extra hongrys...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We don't have very many local restaurants here, most are chains, even though there are other cities not too far from us with many more local restaurants, BUT, one of the local ones makes the best fried chicken. They make it fresh and use a thin coating on the skin. They also fry up large breed chickens, so there is enough for tomorrow's lunch. They have a good sized, but limited menu and there are only 3 days/week when you can order fried chicken, and they only have prime rib ($15.00) on Saturday evenings. They also serve Hamm's on tap for $1.00/glass. I order that if I am not driving.
I did a closing last Friday out in the country and had an offer of five (unwanted) 2 month old roosters! I am picking them up next Saturday.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay not that I would ever get a pig. I see baby feeder hogs on CL all the time usually about $75 is that a good price ?
It's not bad, I prefer to give less than that. But twice now we have bought 4 month old pigs, paid $75 each for 3, then paid $175 for the 2 Hereford hogs we have now. But I figure that 4 months old is worth paying a little extra for, versus 6-8 week olds for $50-$75.

Latest posts