coyotes have sure been close & howling all night

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
there is a pack that is close every night. so far our fence has held them off. the goats are in an extra protection area - I don't think they can get to them. the chickens are pretty safe too. my male german shepherd sure wants a piece of them. the female doesn't want anything to do with them. their howling scares her.

must be a pretty good size pack from the voices I hear.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, be on your toes BJ!

Time to do something about the coyotes. It's heading to the cooler time of year. They want to fatten up. With so many of them they'll get desperate, knowing your dog or dogs can get a few of them first, they still may, will get to your dogs, goats, and birds. And they'll cannibalize the coyotes your dogs get.

Call the local experts.

<<<Lives in the woods, knows wild animals.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DS and I went out to check the rabbits before bed. It was about 1 a.m. I heard coyotes howling and never have I heard them where I live in town. Way off in the distance. My DD told a friend about it and he said that he woke up around 2 because his inside dog was barking and he heard coyotes outside and looked out and they were trying to get his outside dog, so he went out with a gun and chased them off. Big moon last night and bright and tonight too.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is a pack living in the woods down behind our house. We live at the head of the holler and they sometimes come up at night. They have yet to venture into the yard in all the years we have lived here. Their numbers are becomming a real problem. Many people complain about them, but nobody does anything about it. They have yet to bother me and mine so for now, it's live and let live. But the first time they threaten my family, dog or chickens, it's on; and by threaten, I mean all they have to do is come in the yard one time, night or day, whether anyone is outside or not.

In West Virginia it's open season all year long with no daily bag limit. You can even hunt them at night with spotlights from Jan 1 to July 31. I may have moved away from Texas, but this ole boy still knows how to kill coyotes.

Yes, be sure to watch your Shepherd. He would get a few licks in, but even a small pack would be too much for him. Coyotes are very smart survivalists. They learn how to avoid danger, so it's pretty easy to keep them away. Even live box trapping one, holding it there for a day or two without food and water then releasing it will cause the whole pack to avoid the area for a long time.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weve got them here too. Last night just after dark they were off a bit to the northeast. Sounded like just across the pasture and into the woods. They are somewhere around most nights. Theres a donkey in that pasture so I doubt they were actually in the pasture for long. I have seen them in the middle of the day in that pasture though. Not often but often enough.

A favorite trick is for one to lure a single dog off where the pack can ambush him. Out here, dogs either dont fall for that or they dont last long. My wife was commenting the other day how some neighbors dogs have been around forever and how new ones often disappear pretty quickly. Either a dog is made for the country life or it isnt.

Some people like purebred dogs, which I have no problem with. Its personal choice. I go to the pound and find a mutt that looks like it will be able to handle a coyote when it grows up, then train it. I think the term for that is that you want an ugly dog.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure hope all went well last night BJ!

Get ahold of a local coyote expert, at least a good non professional or an actual professional. Find out your local ordinances about shooting them. Y'all know I'm an ole hippy peace lover, but man has overpopulated into their territories, and we need to be secure, so yes, it may well be time for the rifle.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They are horrible beyond our property. Our neighbor has a date with my DH and I to go forth and clean out as many as possible this Fall and again, next Spring. There is no farmer bounty on them, so nobody else is shooting them. We have too many "bleeding hearts" in our little town to post a hunt, so, "S, S, S."
Our 12yo home grown female (neutered at 6mo) cat, "Favorite" was ripped up about a month ago by a coyote. They only reason he left her front legs was probably bc the dogs scared him off. "Favorite", 2001-2013, RIP.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Westchester county has tough gun laws, fire a gun you will see the inside of a jail cell. Because the coyotes have never been hunted they have no fear of people. RyeBrook the next town over from me , as had childern attacked in their own backyards. This was not a one time attack, 3 differnt attacks on kids has happened. Luckly adults where always close and able to chase off the coyotes. People would walk their dogs carrying baseball bats and foghorns.

Latest posts