coyotes have sure been close & howling all night

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I think if you check on coyotes that its not that we have spread into their territory so much as we have eliminated the things that prey on them and provided better habitat for them. Its like the deer. There are more deer now than when Columbus sailed. Weve changed their ecosystem by eliminating predators and providing better habitat for them. Their numbers need to be managed for their health.

Ducks, the bleeding hearts dont realize how much their compassion is hurting them overall by not letting us control them.

Nyboy, I fully understand controlling guns in a residential populated area. Ive seen the damage caused by gunshots, not in war like some people but in residential areas or just hunting accidents. Im not opposed to guns at all. I have one and use one. But the weapon or method of control needs to be matched to the prey, the conditions, and the ability of the person to use it. Sometimes the gun is my first choice but if I have an option Ill go with a trap first. I passed up a good shot a couple of weeks ago in my garden because I knew a neighbors cows were somewhere on the other side of my pole beans. Too dangerous to shoot.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, yep, we humans have spread into Coyote territory. Looga any map. Notice where human populations are? Near rivers, near good places for any predator. That's what we do as top predators. We take the best predator land.

That said, yes, we also change the environment a whole lot. Wow how we have changed how many whitetail deer and rabbits, chased off the grizzly...I don't want any grizzlies near me!

That sounds like the dumbest county ordinance. Sounds like it is high time to picket big time and demonstrate against that ordinance. Don't just send letters to your county supervisors, show up in huge numbers to their meetings, constantly and non stop until they allow folks to reduce the coyote population. If they don't change the county ordinance, it may be time to have a big fast coyote hunt, call the sheriff's office in advance to let them know to go ahead arrest the hunters peaceably, no weapons need be drawn, do it before a 4 day weekend, and make sure all hunters bosses know the hunters may be late to work. I'm sure most bosses would understand. They might even kick in for bail. Decent judges would probably throw out the cases anyway. Heck, some of the hunters would probably be sheriffs deputies!

~~~ ok guys we got 24 coyotes, let's go turn ourselves in! I think deputy Fife's parked along hiway 52 down by the 7-11 waiting for us. He's got plenty of doughnuts unless he ate them all!~~~

Ducks, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. That breaks my heart. I would not be able to take it if something like that happened to one of my sons who happen to be cats. I hope you are able to do something about those coyotes.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
they're truly wily. we keep our dogs well penned. I know my sam can hold his own in a one on one, but one dog dealing with a pack is disaster. nope, not my sam.
we've had coyotes around for many years - some more than others, but this is the first time I've had livestock - makes a big difference in your perspective doesn't it?

I have two cats. they're pretty careful, especially at night - but I wouldn't guarantee they won't be taken some night. I desperately hope not. Ducks, real real sorry about your cat. that's just terrible.

marshall, we live in the city limits. despite that, any animal control officer would just laugh at us for asking for traps or something. dh will shoot them given the chance. he's very good w/weapons & always keeps what's beyond the target in his mind when shooting. i'm not much on shooting. i'm more the shotgun type.

so far, they haven't been able to breach the fences.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coyotes are smart. Heard them barking outside. I went out, dog followed me out door. He went around corner of house before I got very far. In front of huge elm tree in yard was female enticing him. He got 10' away from corner when out popped 4 other coyotes. My dog stopped in his tracks, turned to run back. Coyotes were so intent on supper they never saw me. I yelled, they froze, next second they were running for their lives as they assumed all humans had guns. I do, just not with me.

My dog never wanted anything to do with coyotes from that point on. Guess he could learn.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
our neighbor was looking out across the pasture a couple nights ago (when the moon was so bright). he said he saw a pack of about 15 animals. he said several were pups, but that is still a HUGE pack of coyotes. looks like we've got our work cut out for us.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
baymule said:
Careful, BJ-they will lure your dogs out and kill them.
My Vet put down an Austrailian Shepherd that had been mauled by coyotes. My 60 lb Husky/GS x BC wants a piece of them, too, but she stays inside at night. My other dog is too chicken to help her. Yet, they will both take off at dusk or dawn and run them off, if they see them. We had one coyote at about 9 PM walk down the street, turn towards our barn RIGHT UNDER THE STREETLIGHT!!!! and take off towards my barn!!! He was bigger than both of my dogs.
My neighbor, DH and I are going coyote hunting after harvest this Fall, and before planting next Spring--that is re: the fields that surround our tiny town.
PLEASE be care, or your lovely GS will be mincemeat.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is why we have our Maremmas. We are living on 250,000 acres with coyotes, cougar and bobcat along with a host of other predators. We had a cougar attack a dog in front of our house when we first moved here. Since we got the LGD"s i haven't seen anything, even though we used to shoot a score of coyotes in our back yard every summer. Haven't lost any sheep to date, or free range poultry either, with the exception of the meatie chicks the owls swooped down on. The dogs couldn't prevent that so we moved the chicks where there were no trees and never lost another one. Coyotes are bold and more dangerous than people want to admit. As far as habitat, they are one of the most adaptable animals on the planet.

Latest posts