Coyotes

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The coyotes are terrible here this year. I have been hearing them every morning when I let out the chickens and they are loud. About two weeks ago our small dog disappeared. Our German Shepherd (Daisy) was very stiff and injuried but we couldn't say for sure what happened. The last few days when I go out I had the feeling I should have had a gun. Tonight about an hour after I put the chickens away, and I took Daisy with me, she started barking like crazy. I had shut her in the garage because it is in the teens tonight. We could hear other barking and my husband open the door and it sounded like they were on the porch. They weren't but they were right out front. I don't know if they were coming after her or our cats or the chickens. She is a huge dog, guessing 80-90 pounds. My husband has a F-150 4x4 that is pretty high and Daisy can stand up and put her paws on the side windows to look in and on the front of the hood. This make him furious by the way, but anyway she is huge and those coyotes are still coming in.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of coyotes?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Dorie, I once had a "neighbor" that was a collie/St. Bernard cross.

Laddie was a very BIG dog and he traveled around every day on his neighborhood rounds. He was a nice guy and I enjoyed having him visit. One day, the coyotes caught him and just beat the tar outta him! He nearly died. After that, he pretty much stayed at home.

I began to lose chickens not long after Laddie was made an invalid. Loosing them very early in the morning just meant that I had to start closing the pop door so they weren't out where the coyote could jump their fence and kill them in their yard. Me hanging out with a gun in the woodshed all night accomplished nothing.

Then, I began to lose chickens at mid-day. One day, I put a small, lead pill right thru one of those coyotes. That was the cure.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't have a day off until next Thursday. So far I haven't lost any chickens, our fence is a four foot one. It's pretty cold so I might just water them in the coop and leave them penned up for a couple of days. I don't know why they are out here, our neighbor doesn't even have a chicken coop. I would think they would be easy pickens. And they don't have a dog!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're having coyote packs running at night here in S.E. Indiana, too. I have shot three of them out near the chicken and goat barns since Christmas. This is the time of year they start their annual mating rituals in our area and they're on the move these nights.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every night, hear a pack across the creek from me. I have yet to see the first one tho.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Every night, hear a pack across the creek from me. I have yet to see the first one tho.
We heard them for years, but they've never come this close. I have a 6 yr old. I can replace chicken (and have ) but Eve is a different story.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i do believe that coyotes have an open season year round. so don't be too afraid to shoot them if they are on your property and being a threat to you or your other animals.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
chieckie'smomma is right. coyotes are considered Varmits and you are allowed to kill them anytime. Especially if they are bothering pets and livestock.

Latest posts