Crabgrass going wild in the veggie garden.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year I noticed this type of grass growing in the garden, and early in the season I was keeping up with hand pulling it. I didn't know what it was until I did a image search this morning..turns out it's crabgrass..:rolleyes: I don't know where it came from in the first place, perhaps bird droppings..

Unfortunately, a major project I was working on, allowed this darn weed to really take hold in the garden, and now it's gone to seed. It's all over the place!

I'm really worried about what it will be like next year, and suspect it will be 10 times as bad.

I have been growing organically for several years, but in doing searches on controlling this blasted weed, it would seem only a pre-emergent herbicide will kill it all off. I really hesitate to use any herbicide, as well I'm not sure if they pre-emergent types would have residual effects on my veggies.

Anybody know of a solution, or if pre-emergents will cause other issues?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I would do.. or should I say, what I will do!! I am pulling up and any all grass now. I will be very diligent in the spring and get it when it first shoots up (well before trouble.) I am also planning on very heavy mulch. I wouldn't spray. First of all, like you I am an organic gardener- and secondly if there was a spray that effectively controlled crabgrass- it wouldn't be taking over the world! Good luck- weeds are just one of the necessary evils in gardening!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bill, it just takes hand weeding, as Lesa says. Of course, her idea of mulches can also control it.

Getting it out "well before trouble" would work fine.

Crabgrass only seems to make rapid growth during the final weeks of its season and just before it goes to seed.

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm to late this year to prevent it from going to seed. Dirty deed is done already..:(
I suppose I may as welll till the weed into the soil, since the seeds have already been dispersed, not much point in pulling them now..I'm supposing the mother plant dies off completely, and they can't spread by root propagation as well..that would be a pain..:/

If found that although I pulled a tons of this early in the spring when they first appeared, that they continue to sprout up all summer long. I can foresee a long hard battle next summer. The roots on this crabgrass are also really tough to pull. It sets a pretty firm anchor..:rolleyes:

I wonder if I tried covering the entire garden in black plastic over winter, if it would still get hot enough to kill the seed. I know that a very hot compost can kill weed seeds, but not sure about a plastic covering. Hmm, might be one way of staying organic..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an annual grass.

I really try to catch it before there's any chance for self-sowing but it still shows up.

I am convinced that all the lawn grass seed (KBG) that begins growing in my garden paths - I brought in on my shoes :rolleyes:. That's probably how the crabgrass gets in there also.

I see that it has a very long viability period - years. . . sorry, Bill.

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking a good tiger torch scorching of the ground before I turn it over for the winter, might be a good way to kill off some of the seeds.
I do this with weeds that grow in the gravel portion of my driveway, and that stops them really well..still organic too..:lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I created the greatest consternation in my neighbor by trying flame weeding once.

I had been in that garden for a season or 2 and had never seen that lady in her backyard. The lots were large, hers was well tended but maybe she wasn't comfortable being just on the other side of a wire fence from me when I was out there.

Deciding to try flame-weeding, I showed up one day with a propane tank and a torch. I recall that it was near the close of day so the sunset was at hand. There I was going up and down my garden paths with the flame.
:ep

The neighbor showed up on her deck, immediately! She apparently could not think of anything to do other than pace to and fro on the deck while I went up and down my paths . . . . :weee

This was my one experience with flame-weeding. However, the neighbor lady began to regularly mow her lawn in the backyard while I was there, working in my garden. This went on for years! We never spoke over the roar of her riding lawnmower but I couldn't help but think that she had changed her schedule just so she could keep an eye on me . . .

Bill, you live in a part of the world with considerably more moisture. I think you are probably right, a flame should crisp those seeds! You may even be able to do that without creating panic in the neighborhood.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, that poor lady is probably still having nightmares!! How funny! A friend had an entire front lawn of crabgrass- neighbors thought he was crazy for using a blow torch on it. But, it worked perfectly and the new seed grew beautifully! Where there is a will there is a way!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deciding to try flame-weeding, I showed up one day with a propane tank and a torch. I recall that it was near the close of day so the sunset was at hand. There I was going up and down my garden paths with the flame.

The neighbor showed up on her deck, immediately! She apparently could not think of anything to do other than pace to and fro on the deck while I went up and down my paths .
Bwaa haa haa!!!!

Great visual on that one :D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Funny story..lol I bet she wondered what the heck you were up to.:D.

Pretty safe to do that around here. We have a very private yard. Glad to hear it works! I better do it before turning the soil, as I don't want to bury the seeds. Still several things growing in the garden, so I may have to wait awhile.

I thought about letting the hens out there first as they may help by eating the seeds, but they also could bury them while scratching around the way they do.

Latest posts