Crafty things with your garden?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I did a bunch of pruning, and I have some small-ish saplings that I cut out of an elderly rock wall. The saplings are going to be peeled and made into pyramid-shaped trellises for peas and runner beans.

I also have a LOT of suckers and teeny volunteers that came out of my golden chain tree and my lilac hedges. I was thinking about making baskets out of them (if I remember my Girl Scouts basketweaving techniques correctly), there's never any extra egg/berry/sock/knitting project/soap containers around here.

Do you all do crafty stuff with your garden, other than cook it, compost it or arrange it in a vase? Tell me about your craft projects for your gardens!

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I must admit where I am in my life-- I am just making the garden grow, and obtaining enough livestock to produce enough for my family.

I always hold to the fact that someday, after all the basics are taken care of, there will be time for the crafty side of it. I paln on raising rabbits for meat--once that is mastered, I plan on tanning the hides and making crafts. for gardens, I just need to get a good bed established, then grow varieties that I can make crafts from. As for now, it is just the basic. I envy those who can do the crafts right away

(thoughtfully pondering) someday........

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i take twigs and make a little "fence" around freshly planted plants to keep out marauding chickens. does that count? lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Am I permitted to speak for my Dear Wife? (I play a part in growing the products. ;)

HPIM0078.jpg

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Of course you can speak for her, better yet, get her to sign up, too! Lovely wreath, and I love the multicolored corn!

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Digits,
your wife is very talented that is abeautiful wreath, those are very expensive to buy at the store.
I plan to plant gourds this year and see what kind of crafts the girls and I come up with. I am sure we will make a few bird houses out of them. We will have to see how they grow and then decide what to make with them from there.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's a beautiful wreath....your wife is talented. I see Nigella (Love-in-a-Mist) in it, that's one of my favorite flowers.

I have a dried flower arrangement in an antique mason jar that consists of Nigella, river oats, strawflower, goldenrod, and a couple of blue hydrangea blooms from my mother's bushes. I'd rather have a dried homegrown bouquet than a "silk" one. A simple dried arrangement is easy enough for a novice crafter to do or for someone that doesn't have time for something elaborate.

Is that Painted Mountain, Calico popcorn, or some other variety? I don't know about you, but I love harvesting my ornamental corn (we call it Indian Corn, not exactly "pc")--it's so much fun pulling back the husks to reveal the colors.

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Speaking of ornamental corn...Can you plant it near sweet corn or will they cross pollinate And ruin the taste of the sweet corn?

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've managed to grow ornamental corn beside the sweet corn by planting the 2 types at different times. If you plant an early sweet corn first, followed by a late-maturing ornamental corn 2 weeks later, then the 2 types shouldn't pollinate simultaneously. I'm interested in hearing what other people do...

Latest posts