Crafty things with your garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hencackle said:
Such a nice flower garden in that photo, digitS'.

What are your secrets for growing statice? I haven't had luck growing it...a shame, because it dries so well.
These are the just the dry flowers with the gladiolas stuck in there as well. Oh, and the sunflowers there also. These the flowering plants that I can put in the vegetable garden since I don't usually spray 'em. 'Cept the glads but since the dry flowers are all around - the spray doesn't get on the veggies. I don't spray the sunflowers until after they are picked. Since so many are taller than I am - I'm in danger of having the spray come back in my face. Then, if statice gets buggy, I spray them with organic spray . . . oh okay, I spray, spray, spray . . . but I try to be good . . .

The fresh flower gardens are elsewhere. They're probably radioactive by the end of the growing season :rolleyes:.

Statice, Hencackle, is kind of deceptive. It looks like it should be real tuff but statice really isn't. It will survive if you transplant it out in the cold but growth will be really retarded. Better to wait until benign weather. Perhaps the most serious vulnerability statice has are the shallow roots. Despite looking like something you'd see growing in an Arizona parking lot - it wouldn't be able to.

Steve

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Any time I do "Garden Crafts" I mostly use sugar Snap Pea's Blooms. They are very pretty and are perfect for Crowns.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made some supports for my raspberries out of bamboo and t posts.

Not super crafty :p

3489481600_545d3bcc53.jpg

Any new updates to this thread?

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am currently obcessed with making trellises out of fallen branches. I have used up all in my yard so now I am cutting willow at a friends farm. Here is a quick pic, but to see the process, look at my website under the GARDENING tab and scroll a bit to MAKIN MORE TRELLISES! They are loads of fun AND practical AND free!

6255_trellis_side_shot_7.jpg

I have morning glories planted at the base of this one, a wisteria on another, and a HenryI clematis on another. Husband thought I was crazy, but he's pretty impressed now!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow you guys!!! Those are awesome fences and trellises. I haven't gotten that crafty as of lately. I'm still working on those plant signs.... far from done with those. :rolleyes:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been working on a figure for my garden -- a "Garden Goddess" or "Spirit of the Garden". I planned it months ago when I was sick with 7 weeks of flu! :sick Planning it & making little scribbles of it, kind of helped me through that period; along with having discovered the joys of BYC & TEG. :bow :clap :coolsun

It is going to be placed by the grotto I've formed by growing a rampant rambling rose ("Paul's Himalayan Musk"). It only blooms once a year when it smells wonderful but keeps its leaves through our winters. It throws out long lax branches which hang down like ropes. I planted it originally to climb through an ancient cherry tree that was fading fast; half of it was dead. Now the tree has these hanging garlands from all the dead branches & I have re-arranged them so there is a green cave around the trunk.

So this was why I needed a figure -- in old gardens they often had a guardian figure near a grotto. I thought that as I had been a costume designer in the theatre I would make something a bit outrageous (& large) & try to build it out of stuff I already have (I am a great hoarder of "junk"& stuff left over from shows). I don't intend to spend money on it other than plants, if I really have to.

I intend it to have branches & plants making up parts of the figure. So it will go on changing -- a real "Spirit of the Garden". I will have to get my camera phobia sorted as I want to document the process. :ep

I started to move the metal base of an old drafting table, inch by inch, across the garden. This is going to be the support for the figure. So I have to get it into position before I do anything more. I'm really excited about this project. :ya :ya I have made figures before but these were for inside, on the stage. This time it has to stand up to the weather. I hope to use mosses on it & saxifrages. I don't want it too look too life-like -- it has to be full of fantasy & a bit spooky......!! It is not a quick job & will take a few months --especially for the plants to :celebrategrow into the right size & shape. :celebrate

I shall keep you posted :happy_flower HAPPY CRAFTING & GARDENING :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow.... Hattie you are woman of creativity and patience! :bow

I'm more likely to sculpt something like that out of clay myself... but I used to love sculpting and painting.

You know this means you HAVE to get a camera and learn to upload photos!!! ;)

:rose