Craigslist and Other Bargains

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband is a great one for finding junk. for free along the roadside. He got a ton of those Little Tikes plastic toys for our grandsons, swingsets, picnic tables, eat. Just the other night he came home all excited about find a outdo glass top rectangular table. I kind of rolled my eyes, More junk. But is is the perfect size for when I pot up may plants for sale.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the Junkernecking, I think I'll adopt that word and keep it in my vocabulary. It fits Alex to a T. :rainbowflower I love you Alex and I miss you. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about you.
Same here.. I love hearing form all of you guys.But there is always something missing without one of his outlandish , not-well-thought-out-bargans.. I always think of that disappointing garage where he did not read the fine print in the ad.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband keeps telling me we don't need anymore junk. But it touches my heart when he sees a gardening item or something that he knows I'd like by the curb and brings it home. Of course, this is rare but still. ;)

Mary

i have a very strong attraction to clutter and keeping things i may later use. seriously bad, like i keep old sewing machine needles and used staples so i can recycle them. just today i used one of those needles to poke a splinter out of my thumb and that's just the start of this illness... i have boxes of things from college that i need to just get rid of. i've moved them so many times and hung on to them and hardly ever touched them. i also have a bottle collection i hope to dust off and give most of away to the historical society. i've not touched it other than to move the boxes from over 20 years ago.

easily i could be a Sanford and Son kind of guy with the old truck just picking up stuff from along the road on garbage day just because i may eventually find a use for it.

i also had a lot of fun restoring old furniture that was left by the dumpster at the apartment complex. i could easily see myself doing that (if i weren't so reactive to sawdust of all things...).

um, ok, i'll shut up now. but i have a question... do you have any cool trash to put out this week? :) me jonesing and rarely use it.

p.s. i also come by it from Mom who will dumpster dive any chance she gets, but she also does not have a truck so we are currently doing ok on not getting more stuff to put in the yard... sort of...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once bought a round, channel backed chair at a flea market for $2. It was covered in dirty white brocade and was sporting mildew. It was sitting outside, it was wet and it positively stunk. I was thrilled.

I drug it home, placing it in the garage and starting stripping it. I threw away all the stuffing and padding. I kept the fabric pieces for a pattern. I sanded the rust off the springs and bleached the wood frame to kill the mold and mildew. I started rebuilding it, new padding, new foam, a light blue velvet upholstery and it turned out beautiful. It was very comfortable and we had it many years. DD took it off to college with her and from there, where it went, I don't know.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once bought a round, channel backed chair at a flea market for $2. It was covered in dirty white brocade and was sporting mildew. It was sitting outside, it was wet and it positively stunk. I was thrilled.

I drug it home, placing it in the garage and starting stripping it. I threw away all the stuffing and padding. I kept the fabric pieces for a pattern. I sanded the rust off the springs and bleached the wood frame to kill the mold and mildew. I started rebuilding it, new padding, new foam, a light blue velvet upholstery and it turned out beautiful. It was very comfortable and we had it many years. DD took it off to college with her and from there, where it went, I don't know.
Is there anything you can't do Bay?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my kids were small, I took upholstery classes and opened an upholstery business in my garage. I was able to work, take care of my kids and be home with them. Win-win. My speciality was antiques.
DH also did furniture refinishing and upholstery on the side. Till he got burned out! Sold all his equipment. He had a stripping table and industrial sewing machine.

Latest posts