Craigslist and Other Bargains

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so bummed that I missed a freebie today. Our local online garage sale group has some good bargains and freebies from time to time. Of course the free stuff goes quick. Today someone was giving away 3 unopened bags of potting soil, some pots, and other stuff. Couldn't get a hold of my friend so that she could go pick it up for me. I'm sure it was gone withing 30 minutes. :(

Mary

This is probably old news by now, but it may be worth adding yourself to your local "Buy Nothing" group. I'm sure there are other ways to join, but I joined my local one on facebook, and they are all over the place. You can both ask if anyone has something, and give something you don't want away. The rules are few, the major one being simply that when you give something there are no strings attached. It's just a gift.

I've gotten several nice pots from the group :) not to mention fruit off trees and one time even a soda machine. It's a real fun place.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried taking a paint chip to Lowe's once and they said they no longer do color matching, but never tried Home Depot.

I'm almost afraid to paint it now, though....I love all the interesting dings and scratches it has and the paint quality is better than any I've found in recent yzears.
A couple months ago I took a color photo to Lowe's , Sherwin Williams paint store and then to Home Depot as well of a " blush Zinfendel " as this was the color my wife wanted for one of the walls of our dining room. NONE of these even offered the color match. The guy at the Home Depot offered to do a color match by trial and error by adding color tints to a gallon of white paint. After about a dozen tries, he came pretty close to the photo color. I painted the wall and it dried to a much darker color. :caf

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
A couple months ago I took a color photo to Lowe's , Sherwin Williams paint store and then to Home Depot as well of a " blush Zinfendel " as this was the color my wife wanted for one of the walls of our dining room. NONE of these even offered the color match. The guy at the Home Depot offered to do a color match by trial and error by adding color tints to a gallon of white paint. After about a dozen tries, he came pretty close to the photo color. I painted the wall and it dried to a much darker color. :caf

I miss the days you could bring a small piece of paint chip or sliver of wood with the paint on it, they slid it into their little machine and mixed you the perfect match to paint that had faded with age to the perfect color. :(

Who messes with perfection like that????? :barnie What was so wrong with that little machine that they had to get rid of it? :he

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like my dad he paints till can is empty. If he has paint left, anything is fair game.

Oh, no....I think we are related!!!!! :th That's just like my mother!!! :lol: She'll actually stand with the paint can in her hand and scan the locality, looking for anything that needs a fresh coat of paint while she "has the can out".

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's too bad. I guess we must have a pretty good Home Depot. I have taken flowers, toys, pieces of wood, etc. to match it and they match it perfectly each time.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I miss that color machine too. I had red paint mixed for front door at work. When the guy showed me the mixed paint I said looks very purple. he said oh it drys a lot darker, nope. Clients tell me all the time how they love door color.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning I whent to Habitat for Humanity Re- store to see if they had some older plumbing parts that I can't seem to find anywhere else. While there, some volunteers were unloading a dining room set -- beveled glass with rounded corners 42" x 72" with modern designed fancy black steel legs. The 6 matching very fancy chairs have similar legs with the back legs going all the way to the top of the back rest. Deep cushion seats and back rest. All in like new condition that were being donated by an estate. I inquired for the price, so one of the guys called for the sales manager. He put the price at $ 60 ( sixty dollars ). I purchase the set on the spot, called my wife to look at the set. She LIKED IT. This set is for our 48th Aniversary as well as her 1st re- birthday. We will pick them up Wed. or Thursday. Curious of the value, I searched the internet ... the closest ones in size and design come it at between $ 2750 - $ 3500 WITHOUT CHAIRS . :th :weee :ya :thumbsup

Latest posts