Craigslist and Other Bargains

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Small square bales are $5-$10 apiece, so yes, heck of a buy. Grass hay or alfalfa?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
score! might be interesting to leave a bit of the bare spots alone and fence it to see what wildflowers might come up. :)
If any fiddleneck ( especially )come up - kill, maim, and destroy on first sight... just a few leaves consumed by sheep will kill them. Lupine will cause abortion in cattle. Wildflowers are pretty ... but know your enemy and be carefull of what you wish for !!! o_O

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If any fiddleneck ( especially )come up - kill, maim, and destroy on first sight... just a few leaves consumed by sheep will kill them. Lupine will cause abortion in cattle. Wildflowers are pretty ... but know your enemy and be carefull of what you wish for !!! o_O

Is that fiddleneck ferns? Supposed to be a natural dewormer for sheep. If they are poisonous, my sheep have already had their fill...they grow all around this place.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Bee! I am soooo happy for you! I can't believe you found so much hay for free! I don't know what the regular price of that barn kept hay is but I'm sure it was much higher than $5.

I am just jumping for joy for you! Just Love this great news. You would think this was my news! hahahaha

Mary

Regular price for their hay is at this time of the year~not freshly made hay, mind you, but hay that they would be selling to clear out barns for the new stuff~is 25-30 a bale. In the fall that will be much higher for this year's hay.

This was offered that low due to a roof leak in the barn having spoiled about 5 bales of it....which my sheep will not consider spoiled but rather fermented to their liking and those will be the bales they consume like candy.

I too was jumping for joy....couldn't wipe the grin off my face for the last two days as I shuttled hay 4 bales at a time to our place and rolled them out onto the skids and railroad ties I got for free this past year. All are up off the ground and some are covered, though I couldn't afford to cover them all.

Thistle, I just kept thanking the Lord over and over as I drove along....winter's hay~29 bales on the land~for $145. Quite the blessing!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Small square bales are $5-$10 apiece, so yes, heck of a buy. Grass hay or alfalfa?

Grass hay. I did get some orchard/alfalfa earlier in the year for $3 per sq. bale, which usually goes for $7-8 around here. Barn kept and beautiful. Feeding that out right now to nursing and still pregnant ewes.

This hay I got today is from Ohio, where the mineral content of the soils are far more rich than here in WV....I like to buy hay from OH for that reason.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Bee, do the math for me. So how much did you save if you had bought all this hay (including the free one) at regular price?

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Bee, do the math for me. So how much did you save if you had bought all this hay (including the free one) at regular price?

Mary

That would be $650 saved if I put the all the bales at current lowest prices in these parts.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Beekissed , WOW!! I paid $6/65 lb bale last year, some all grass, mostly 1/2 alfalfa, some bales a little bit lighter. As You know we feed hay by weight. One feeding for my 3 horses is 7 flakes/12 flakes total. This is why I keep a medium sized wheelbarrow in my barn. It's much neater to drop down what I need instead of a full bale, which sheds on the barn floor.
My hay man misconstrued that I drop an entire bale onto the wheelbarrow, which might damage it. I drop 2 flakes, then 2 flakes, then balance the rest, one flake at a time, from, of course, my loft, where they are stored.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that fiddleneck ferns? Supposed to be a natural demwormer for sheep. If they are poisonous, my sheep have already had their fill...they grow all around this m .n
NOPE ... fiddleneck is an annual weed with orange blossoms on the top tip that looks like a neck of a fiddle that unfurles for the next flower from the bottom up... grows all over here. Just 2 - 3 leaves will kill a lamb, 5 will kill a full grown ewe. I necropsied quite a few sheep in Vet. Pathology lab to determine the cause of death. :(