Creating nametags for plants

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a thought but could a label maker work? Type out info you want and tape or superglue to popsicle stick with hole drilled in to tie to tree or something like that.

Mary

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not to be persistent, but I think the easiest and most durable info holders are still the aluminum embossable tags. The smaller they are the less they cost.

I ordered up 200 yesterday

Just a thought but could a label maker work? Type out info you want and tape or superglue to popsicle stick with hole drilled in to tie to tree or something like that.

Mary

I don't picture that standing up to -40°F winter winds and me going out there to find nameless trees in winter

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm wanting to create a nametag for each of the trees I will be putting in the ground for my tree farm. The idea is to mark each tree, since they'll be in tree tubes, with a laminated card that identifies the species, an ID number (tracking & inventory purposes) and an indicator of the target year to sell. Now that sounds well and good but I know what normal ink will do in the sun: fade.

So, what ink out there won't fade in the sun if I use it to write on an index card and then laminate it? Or is there another option you suggest?
Sharpies DO NOT LAST..I use DP industries Garden Markers. There are others but these have been the most durable. I also use everlasting metal garden markers to mark my daylilies. They heave many such products.I use a p=touch label maker with self adhesive outdoor tape. I tell you this because I think for trees you are going to need them to last many years. The garden markers do start to fade. You will need to spend some money. Don't waste you effort trying to save money. My first year I marked hundreds of plants with the best sharpie they make. Pure white tags in the spring. I think everlasting might have professional lasting system that would help you. If you go with the garden markers get them direct from DP-amazon marks them way up.

Latest posts