Creative ideas wanted...

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We have an old set of stairs in front of our house.

FrontOfHouseStairs.JPG

The stairs aren't used and are about 4 feet or so from the road. I thought some sort of flowing flower would be kind of neat, cascading down the steps... but I don't know what kind of flower that would be.

Any one have any ideas on what I should plant or how I can make the steps pretty?

We're just renting for now so anything drastic is out!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess if it were me I'd think about fairly densely overseeding white clover into the lawn, in a narrow band along both sides of the steps and then in a strip from steps to house as if it were a path. It would eventually spread elsewhere in the lawn but if you're renting you'll probably be gone by then - will take years. However the landlord might have a cow, if he/she is picky about his/her lawn ;)

Any sort of containers you put on the steps would require daily (or more) watering and possibly get stolen, so I guess that's out.

Maybe plant Wave petunias along both sides of the steps -- although with that slope, you will have a hard time keeping them sufficiently watered, and they may interfere with mowing on the lawn side.

I guess maybe I would clear a swath along either side of the steps and plant Autumn Joy sedum, 1 plant on each side of each step. If you get wee small ones in 2.5" pots it should be only somewhat expensive :p

Or, hey, how about portulaca? Either mixed colors or single colors, whatever you prefer. Either buy a flat of them to plant, or it might not be too late to start your own seeds if you prefer. I would NOT direct seed them there, since with the slope the seeds will just wash right off unless you are exquisitely careful.

Or probably someone else will come up with a better idea :)

Pat

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow... I'm impressed!!

You've mentioned a couple of flowers I've never heard of, so I'll have to go look them up!!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was thinking some small-leaf creeping ground cover.

Thyme comes to mind, but that may not be a good choice for that spot. Just something that looks like thyme. I would plant it so that it gives the appearance of almost water flowing down the hill and spilling onto the steps.

Am I making sense? Sometimes it's hard for me to translate my imaginary pictures into words. LOL

Cassandra

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It makes sense in my head, I think! :)

I'll have to google thyme-like plants and see what I can come up with!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd stick with something drought and heat tolerant, as those steps will radiate a lot of heat in the full sun. Thyme might be good in that case.

If you go with that, I wonder how your landlord would feel about planting an herb garden around the steps? That would be functional, fairly drought tolerant, and nice looking. Just my 2 cents. :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh also, you might consider shaping the dirt into little terraces, so you have flat areas to water. It doesn't have to be a big project, just mounds with about 6" diameter would probably do until the plants established. Mulch would help avoid erosion while the plants are getting established.

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Don't know how these will do in your zone but:

Lady Banks rose or the Seven Sisters rose

Reaction score
New to the Easy Garden....thought I would jump in on the conversation. If you are looking for something that is low cost and will spread down the hill....I would use creaping flox. Here is a picture from my garden that shows them off wonderfully.....

Picture045.jpg

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! ScottsGreenThumb, that's beautiful!! :coolsun

What type of climate do you have?

Latest posts