Creative ways to grow lettuce?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gutters are so CHEAP even if you buy new ones it is a great deal. For me the only issue is things drying out really fast. If I get some of those water crystals I may be able to use gutters. I think there is room under the kitchen window....hummmmm

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Gutters are so CHEAP even if you buy new ones it is a great deal. For me the only issue is things drying out really fast. If I get some of those water crystals I may be able to use gutters. I think there is room under the kitchen window....hummmmm
I like it! My kitchen window faces east and we have it open all summer... would be super easy to water too since it's right at the porch :) SO creative

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 2 broken wheelbarrows which will be reloacted this spring and used for lettuce beds. I don't like to put it in my garden, it doesnt get any shade and I think it tastes better if it gets a few hours of shade each day.

We live on an OLD farm and there are a couple of junk piles in the pasture which I like to rob of cool containers. Old coffee pots and enamle bowls... theres an antique washing machine I'd like to reclaim somehow out there....

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I saw this picture earlier today and showed it to my husband. We have been looking for something useful that will look somewhat decorative as well on one of the front walls of our house. He already went out, bought all the supplies, and painted the support posts to match the trim on the house. We have stucco, not siding, so the gutters will be mounted on posts instead of straight onto the house. He is going to do five rows of 8ft each. This will definitely free up some garden space for things that need more room! Thanks for posting such a great idea!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's not quite finished but I will get some pictures up tomorrow when it is done.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can NOT wait to see pictures of this!!! :p

I'm off to home depot today to look at a few things, and pick up some dirt and pansies. Maybe I'll price a few things out and see what comes of it when I show hubby.

However, he's tilling this weekend for 2 12'x2 1/2' raised beds and will more then likely just roll his eyes at me. :rolleyes:

:gig

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
One of my friend had grown the lettuce in a small cup of water in the early stage. As the orchid grown and after some days he shifted the lettuce to out door garden and grow it in the soil.