Creeping Charlie Eww!

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with creeping charlie in their lawn. Slowly but surely it's taking over our yard and we have no idea what to do about it. It's our first house and yard so we are trying to learn. I would be SO grateful if any of you have any idea on what we could do to get rid of this garbage. Thanks so much in advance!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it's still small you might want to remove as much of it as possible although it's extensive root system might be impossible to completely remove. It's related to mint and spreads just like it.

It really hates sunny and dry locations, so if you can, let your lawn dry out this summer and it should help get rid of more of the weed (as long as the lawn is well established) It thrives in shady and moist conditions so the more you can do to get rid of those conditions the better chance you have in controlling it.

Also, if the lawn is well established, (and I'm guessing it needs a little work because most well established lawns will crowd this out) let the lawn grow a bit longer than usual, about 3-4 inches. This will also help crowd out the weed.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's small in the front but EVERYWHERE in the back yard (we also own the adjoining city lot, and it's all over there too) Moist and dark is our yard lol, lots of low spots and tree shade where it is...I wonder if I will have to resort to a chemical or something. I dont mind if we have to kill every bit of grass in the yard as well to do it (after the garden is harvested of course) cause we want to lay a new seed down anyway. Thanks for the advice, where ever possible I will try and keep it dry and sunny!

sunflower

Sprout
Reaction score
buy some hanging flower pots and plant it and sell them. I paid $8.00 for hanging pot of creeping charlie, AndI just happened to be in wally world when it was delivered, It was all gone by the time I checked out.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ugh. Me too. I do not think there really IS a solution (unless you have a small infestation and truly amazing amounts of free time and energy available) aside from killing everything completely and then reseeding/replanting :/

We contracted a case of creeping charlie from some plants from my m-i-l's garden, and although I caught it in time in the front bed (although I have to remain vigilant for lingering bits trying to come back to life) I did not realize there was any under the spruce in the back/side lawn until it had taken over about a 10x10 area of lawn. At which point there is not one heck of a lot you can do. I expect it will eventually be everywhere on the property.

Why does my m-i-l have it, you may ask? She LIKES it. "It's green, and you don't have to mow it". Gah.

I may have to adopt that attitude myself, eventually, in the spirit of embracing the inevitable :p

Good luck and for heaven's sake let me know if you find anything that really works (I don't want to herbicide as it is near our shallow dug well),

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you tried boiling water? It's worked on the poison oak the goats haven't gotten. Hey, is it safe for goats? :)

citalk2much

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I want to cry I had some plumbing done about eight years ago and I bet they seeded it fills my whole yard gets into my flower beds up my flowers get into my veggie garden ohhhhhhh I hate it no clue what to do be gening to think I have to tear up whole yard
Crying crying crying
Whin whin whin

Oh by the way I am crystal from Michigan

Latest posts