Cross Pollination

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just wanted to make completely sure, If I put different varieties of plants together (like tomatoes) the crop for this year won't be effected? I don't mind buying new seeds next year, and I will pretty much have to, because alot of the varieties are hybrid.

I just don't want the crop to turn out weird.

Thanks for the help.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was told for veggies... cross pollination from different kinds will only affect the offspring plants from seed. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. And... I can be wrong!!! (ALOT) :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can get weird corn. But with corn, it's the seed that's the crop - right ;)?

I usually grow white corn but often have a yellow variety. The sowing is staggered and maturity rates are different but, of course, I get a few bi-color ears.

I grew the most amazing ornamental corn one year. They were HUGE plants and had lots of colorful ears.

My sweetcorn was separated by about 50 feet and several weeks different maturity. It probably helped a lot but still, there were a few colored kernels on my corn on the cob that year.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The calico corn was just for Fall decorations. (You may notice that I have a problem with calling it "Indian corn" - all corn is Indian. :))

I think all corn is also edible but now that we have GMO varieties, they may prove me wrong :/. Of course, some is suitable as cornmeal or better used as livestock feed.

Personally, I'm not sure if popcorn IS edible . . . I make use of it by choking, getting it stuck in my teeth, or spitting it across the theater during a comedy . . . ;)

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The calico corn was just for Fall decorations. (You may notice that I have a problem with calling it "Indian corn" - all corn is Indian. :))

I think all corn is also edible but now that we have GMO varieties, they may prove me wrong :/. Of course, some is suitable as cornmeal or better used as livestock feed.

Personally, I'm not sure if popcorn IS edible . . . I make use of it by choking, getting it stuck in my teeth, or spitting it across the theater during a comedy . . . ;)

Steve
:lol:

Ok I'm glad that is answered. I have an issue where I bought decorative 'calico' style corn last fall to put up around the house. When I took it down I threw it in buckets on the side of the house over the winter. The bucket filled halfway up with water, and the corn hovered over it all season. I looked at it yesterday and it is covered right on the cob with HUGE sprouts!

I read if you plant different kinds of corn, you had to stagger the planting by 2 weeks or keep them 200 ft + away from each other as not to cross pollinate. I was thinking of planting the decorative corn kernels since they are all started for me... but I am starting my own corn for eating in my current garden.

I guess I will probably just chuck these, or offer them to my mom or neighbor. They would have been fun to grow, but if I can't really eat them... its a waste of space.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hum, this was something I hadn't considered.....so, does that mean the seeds I get from my Brandywine will be cross-pollinated with the Beefsteak's since they are planted next to each other? In my heirloom row I have 6 Brandywine then 6 Beefsteak, 6 Homestead, and finally 2 Rutgers. Are these all going to cross-pollinate and mess up the seeds?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Hum, this was something I hadn't considered.....so, does that mean the seeds I get from my Brandywine will be cross-pollinated with the Beefsteak's since they are planted next to each other? In my heirloom row I have 6 Brandywine then 6 Beefsteak, 6 Homestead, and finally 2 Rutgers. Are these all going to cross-pollinate and mess up the seeds?
I means it COULD happen. I asked our county extension agent about this at class last week and he said that the chances are slim that they will cross because of the way tomatoes pollinate.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are supposed to be self-pollinating usually, tomatoes are. I've read some folks who say that potato-leafed varieties are more likely to cross. I think that these are all heirlooms and the gardeners may be especially concerned.

I've grown my grandmother's tomato, a plum saladette and pehaps "Porters," in my garden for about 15 years without any noticeable change in the plants and fruit. It stays right in amongst hybrids & open-pollinated varieties in my Tomato Jungle.

Maybe since my investment in her tomato is growing rather high ♫, I will start hiding a plant or 2 on the far side of the garden just to be sure. It would be disappointing if Setter4's "could" became a "did" . . .

Steve