Cry me a river, with a small side of frys

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'll miss those taters this winter, for sure. :( Still...seventy pounds are more than I got, so I'm still a little envious of your harvest. :gig I had so few~though they were nice and big~that I just left them in the row and will let them be seed for next year's crop.

I'm also going to try and locate some more seed potatoes and plant those this fall also, then rake the chips aside in the spring and let the growing begin.

My healthiest potato plants this year are currently growing like gangbusters...in the compost bin full of cow manure. :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's a bummer. I had voles take a bite out of each and every potato I grew one year.

No voles bothering mine this year, but I think the excessive rain did mess them up. I got about 40 lbs. for the 20 lbs. I planted. No sign of scab or other disease either. The vines were huge, lush and healthy this year with almost no potato beetles in sight. First plant I dug produced 8 large taters for the one I planted (I planted whole seed potatoes this year, after TEG advice), but very few of the others produced well. Some had NO potatoes under them other than a few marble sized ones. I can't figure out what happened. I'm crying a river here too!

Both kids and hubby helped me plant AND dig them, first time ever. Very disappointing when there isn't much buried treasure under there. :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
love to grow your potatoes for you, but i am not in a good area for them..

Neither am I it seems. :(

Next year I'm going to follow all the recommendations I've been reading about to combat scab.
1. Rotate crops
2.Acidify my soil
3.Plant a cereal crop as a cover crop and turn under
4. Only plant scab resistant varieties
5. I read that it's very important to keep the soil very moist the first 2 weeks after the plants come up when they are developing tubers. So the watering set up is going to have to change.

Then I'm killing all the gophers and hunting deer this fall.
That'll teach 'em.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you succeed with the first part of your hunting plans the second part is moot. It is only if you injure them that they can learn to stay out of range.

Well it will teach them in the split second when their life passes before their eyes and they regret meeting my garden. I don't care how long they retain the lesson.

Latest posts