Cucumber Trellis Distance

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for an opinion on spacing of trellis / support wires for cucumbers.

I have a 16 foot section of garden that I'm going to add cucumbers to. I was sinking 4x4 posts into the ground roughly every 5' which I was planning on connecting to each other with just horizontal wires. I was planning of doing little eye loops with a turnbuckle and wire. I had initially planned on spacing these every 6", but was second guessing myself on that since I wasn't planning on doing vertical lines.

So, if I stick with only horizontal is 6" small enough or should I go 4 or 5"? Alternatively, should I stick at 6" but tie some vertical poly rope to just help the cucumbers out?

Please share your thoughts.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please share your thoughts.
Well, since you put it so politely, Sprig' :).

I don't grow cukes on a trellis but my old gardening neighbor did. He had nice cukes with cattle panels.

I checked : 4" by 8" grid.

Now you need someone who also trellises to comment.

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, since you put it so politely, Sprig' :).

I don't grow cukes on a trellis but my old gardening neighbor did. He had nice cukes with cattle panels.

I checked : 4" by 8" grid.

Now you need someone who also trellises to comment.

Steve

Thanks! I also grow them on a fence, which does well, but that is fully trellised, so I never really asked the question of "how far can I have my horizontal sticks/wires spaced?"

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think 6" would be sufficient. I have had cuke vines reach up and over about a foot to grab on to something I thought was safe from them.
I would think you could always string some twine after the fact, if you see that they aren't figuring it out for some reason.
I just put my cukes in tomato cages this year. We'll see how that goes.

Latest posts