Cucumbers and a question about corn

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a single cucumber plant that just developed its first true leaf and its second is on the way. I know that cucumbers are a vine plant and need something to climb. Is it better to use a wire cage or a straight support?

Also, I have corn sprouts coming up. How much water do they require? Daily, or just when ever the ground is dry. We've been having some really hot days this week. Its supposed to get up to 93 today with no clouds. Tomorrow will be just as hot, but starting Wednesday, we have a chance of storms.

I have a corn plant in a 7-8 inch tall pot that I grew as a little experiment (to see if I could get anything to grow). It is by far my largest corn sprout. The ones I planted in the ground took weeks to germinate and are just starting to come up, while this one, which was pre-sprouted in a zip lock bag with a damp paper towel and then planted in the pot, took only a week to sprout, then another week to come up once planted in the pot. It is now about 5-6 inches tall. Could I move it to a bigger pot and hope to get some corn out of it, move it to the ground, or keep it in the same pot and just see how far it gets?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi :) Actually, your cukes don't have to grow on a trellis. I've only done that once in all my life. It is nice for not having to bend over, but they grow just fine on the ground.

Regarding corn or anything, for that matter, about 1" of water per week is my rule of thumb. I would get that corn in the pot acclimated to outside and get it in the ground. I don't think it can develop enough of a root system in a pot to grow you any corn.

Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You can grow cucumbers up the corn if you want! :cool: I'm trellising mine, but mine are being planted by my cantelope anyways. Again, they don't need to be trellised, they can grow in the ground.

With these super hot days (90+ here again today) I've been watering daily. I just feel better that way in such heat. I'm treating it like its summer.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its already acclimated to outside. All my plants are at this point. So would I just dig it out of the pot and put it in the ground in a place with a lot of sun?

Also, how do you measure out an inch of water for a week? How many gallons is that?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think the danger in watering frequently is that your plants never have to develop a deep root system. Then, you need to water frequently the entire season. If you let them dry out more, they have to go down deep.

When I water, I stick a rain gauge in the garden. When it hits an inch, I stop. Some things I water by hand with a watering can. For those, I just soak them really good, but only once every 1-2 weeks (if there has been no rain).

Yes, just pull the corn out of the pot with as much dirt and root ball as possible and plant it to the same depth in the ground. I've never transplanted corn, but this is the way it works for most other plants.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
on transplanting the corn, disturb as little of the dirt as you can. My cucumbers just run on ground.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I watered today since its going to be so hot and I might water them tomorrow, but Wednesday we might have some rain. I'll look for a rain gauge next time I go to Southern States.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is regarding the response from me&thegals about watering...Is it not good to water every day? I water each night for 15 minutes which is about 1/4" of water.

Hoe should I be doing this?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The problem with watering every day is the roots will not grow deep. You want to water deeply, and then wait, and then water deeply again. Especially with corn, which tends to have shallow roots anyway, and is so tall, you want to encourage those roots to go as deeply as possible to anchor the plant.

BUT on the other hand, when they are just germinating and starting to grow, you have to give them more water, because the roots are only a few inches long, and if they dry out completely for too long at this age it will stunt them or kill them. And corn loves water. SO I would say, stick your finger in the soil as far as it will go, and if it feels DRY water it DEEPLY. Not a sprinkling, you want a lot of water in there. That way, even when the top dries out tomorrow, it will still have plenty of water. That will get those roots growing deep.

After they are bigger, go with the one inch a week. Around here that means we have to water almost every week. I do it once a week unless it is really hot, and them some plants, like lettuce and the root veggies, need it more often.

One inch of water = 2 gallons a square foot.

Now, I am sure that is more information on watering then you ever wanted, but once I get thinking, it goes and goes, on and on! :lol: