Cucumbers and a question about corn

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
I watered my corn once or twice a week late in the afternoon. With transplanting the corn be careful, corn does not like to be transplanted. Growing cucumbers with corn will protect the cucumbers from wilt and they will like the shade the corn gives them. (ps, if you grow a couple radishes with the cucumbers they will protect them from cucumber beetles, dont pick them, let them go to flower)
I never knew that about radishes thanks for the information

I agree with watering an inch a week...if you force your finger into the soil up to your last knuckle and it comes back with wet soil crumbs on it it is still moist... how often depends on the wind and temp if you have hot windy days it will dry everything out faster then if you have calm cool days...

I trellis my cucumbers the past couple of years it saves space but if you have the room you could let them sprawl on the ground...

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like to trellis my cucumbers - it saves space, they grow nice and straight and they don't get dirty.

3234915906_9dd09abcae.jpg

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
ams3561,
I am really interested in this planting of radishes with cucumbers. Do you have more info on this & is there a list etc of other helpful plants' If so could you let me know as I would love to try them out.

HAPPY GARDENING! :tools

:rose Hattie :rose
I get my info from my Carrots Love Tomatoes book, Ive mentioned it before :rolleyes: sorry. Its all about companion planting and natural ways of getting rid of pests. Learned several things I didnt know before, and I grew up on a farm and a garden every year.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I transplanted my corn into the ground and it seems to be doing fine. It might rain today so I'm holding off on watering anyone. The dirt in the pots seems moist anyway and it won't be very hot today.

Actually I think I was over watering my carrots because the largest plant was drooping over without actually wilting away and I didn't water it yesterday and its perky again.

My cucumber is getting taller. It stands at about 3in tall. My tomatoes are 8in tall. Didn't get a chance to measure the corn.

Another question about the corn. I pre-sprouted the one corn that I ended up having to transplant. It sprouted indoors in a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel and was then planted in organic potting soil and allowed to grow for a few weeks. I would guestimate it to be about 6in tall now. About a week after sprouting the corn indoors, I also directly sowed some into the ground behind my house. It has taken weeks for it to even break the surface and even now, its only about an inch tall. Some of it didn't even come up, only 3 out of the six. Any thoughts on this? (The ones directly sown into the ground were not pre-sprouted indoors.)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I like to trellis my cucumbers - it saves space, they grow nice and straight and they don't get dirty.
I am planning to trellis my cucmbers and gourds this year. I have never done this before but I read about it and I think it will save me some space.

I have transplanted corn several times. I had an awful *&%@ crow a few years ago that went down my rows of corn and pulled the new spouts and then ate the seed. The crow took out about 1/2 my corn. I hadn't thinned my rows so I thought if I going to pull these out anyway way not try to replace the empty rows with the extra. It worked great. Just make sure you give them lots of water until the new spout are more established.

Also if you use a string to put in straight rows leave the string staked over your row and the crows won't eat your corn. I figured that out after the crow incident. I had left the string marking my last row so I would know where the last row was, it was the only row it left alone.