Cucumbers starting

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The corn from Sacred Succulents finally arrived. Doesn't look very green to me; looks more blue/purple with a thick white skin. Actually it looks like a pretty standard Andean corn (some of the kernels even have the birds egg spots) except about half the size kernel wise.

Still no sign of Australia.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Aand a chipmunk managed to get in and eat THAT patch of corn! Whadda I have to do to keep this stuff SAFE!?!. Can't trap em' can't shoot em' can't poison em' can't get a dog to hunt em' (those things ARE banned by the HOA).

Laid up some more corn indoors, will lay up additional.
Two possible solutions:
1) cat (or your neighbor's cat)
2) cage them in with chicken wire

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
And what about tillers? Won't that be hard for a woman to guide a front tine tiller?
NOT AT ALL!!! I run mine all of the time, but I have to replace a tire, so it's temporarily out of commission.
Mine is a Toro Super Bronco Pony.
They drive themselves.
During this winter you can join some discussions on the pro's and con's of tilling. They REALLY make mixing soil with compost easier.
Right now, Till away!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
1. We HAVE a cat, but he is only allowed out under supervision (wanders too far, too many roads and fast cars.)

2. I can TRY chicken wire next year, but if they are getting in by tunneling, I'm not sure how it's any harder to dig under chicken wire than it was to dig under the cage.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not even sure any of the soybeans i have with pods on them are going to finish. i hope so, but the pods aren't getting very fat so far...

can you grow indoors?

hardware cloth on the bottom and spread across the surface out about a foot and a half to two feet, then cover with your pathway/edge material, most animals will not figure out how to back up to burrow under (moles are the only exception i know to this since they're already underground). then your fence goes up from the hardware cloth. by hardware cloth i mean the fine mesh wire that has about 1/4 - 1/3 inch gaps in it.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got my tan wingbean seeds in yesterday's mail. If I can get them to produce here, tan is better if you want to eat the dry beans as well as the fresh pods.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ordered two more kinds of long bean last night. Another mottled pod one (which based on some info supplied by the seller, is different from the one I got from Thailand) and more importantly, what I THINK is the White Galaxy long bean I didn't get (and now that the seller no longer ships to the US, cannot get) from Australia.

Incidentally @Zeedman, you might want to consider the Galaxy White as well. While not the longest of long beans, it is supposedly VERY early (I've heard 60 days from seed to mature beans)

Latest posts