Cucumbers

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have usually just put seeds in the ground and I put cucumbers off usually until last so I can get plants in the ground. I almost planted cucumber seeds today but I think it is too cold. I am thinking about starting them in cups. I would like to get cucumbers before the summer is half over. Which do you prefer, starting inside or putting seeds in the ground?

WildBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have usually just put seeds in the ground and I put cucumbers off usually until last so I can get plants in the ground. I almost planted cucumber seeds today but I think it is too cold. I am thinking about starting them in cups. I would like to get cucumbers before the summer is half over. Which do you prefer, starting inside or putting seeds in the ground?
Starting cucumbers inside is really easy and gives them a little boost! I do this every year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are early and late cucumber varieties. Although, maybe it's just the climate - since the seed companies make it sound like there are early and very early varieties ;).

Lemon cucumbers are fun, however, I can always count on them showing up in late summer. Speedway is an early American slicer. Then again, I don't always slice - just peel and munch.

Starting early indoors is easier than with the bigger vining crops like pumpkin and squash. The plants have the same brief stay at home before taking up their patch of the garden. Same soaked roots when they go out seems to protect them from transplant shock. And, off they go.

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plant in ground normally but I have transplanted before. You just have to be very careful of the stems when transplanting. I direct sow but that’s because I have a very long growing season and grow quick producing pickling cucumbers. I’ve actually gotten harvests off of seeds sown in August here.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plant in ground normally but I have transplanted before. You just have to be very careful of the stems when transplanting. I direct sow but that’s because I have a very long growing season and grow quick producing pickling cucumbers. I’ve actually gotten harvests off of seeds sown in August here.
With the freezing weather we have, I'm thinking I should pot my cucumber plants.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cucumbers grow quickly & are used immature, so they can be direct-seeded in all areas but those with the coolest or shortest seasons. I've even planted them here as late as mid-summer (when warm soil aids germination) and had a fair harvest before frost. However, for an earlier or larger harvest, or if saving seed, transplants are helpful... even if only to shorten germination time. Springs in my area are unpredictable & often excessively wet, so I start cucumbers (and all other members of the gourd family) as transplants.

Cucumbers & other gourds do poorly under most artificial light; so they should not be started too early, and either transplanted or moved into sunlight before they get leggy. Their roots are more sensitive to disturbance than most vegetables, so I recommend the use of permeable pots - soil blocks, peat pots, paper pots, etc. If using plastic pots or cups, then wet the soil before transplanting, and if possible, cut one side open to make removal easier. Those cut containers can be saved & re-used in following years, if placed within an identical uncut container for support.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cucumbers grow quickly & are used immature, so they can be direct-seeded in all areas but those with the coolest or shortest seasons. I've even planted them here as late as mid-summer (when warm soil aids germination) and had a fair harvest before frost. However, for an earlier or larger harvest, or if saving seed, transplants are helpful... even if only to shorten germination time. Springs in my area are unpredictable & often excessively wet, so I start cucumbers (and all other members of the gourd family) as transplants.

Cucumbers & other gourds do poorly under most artificial light; so they should not be started too early, and either transplanted or moved into sunlight before they get leggy. Their roots are more sensitive to disturbance than most vegetables, so I recommend the use of permeable pots - soil blocks, peat pots, paper pots, etc. If using plastic pots or cups, then wet the soil before transplanting, and if possible, cut one side open to make removal easier. Those cut containers can be saved & re-used in following years, if placed within an identical uncut container for support.
These are what I have. I don't want them to die

20210505_191821.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What an interesting setup. Does than tray have a cover? Those seedlings should be transplanted soon or transferred to a larger container... be sure to keep those exposed roots moist until then.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, it is covered :) . I can put them into the only compost I have here tomorrow. I've worming compost too. I don't know if this will help. My main worry is this freezing cold wind .

2 years ago I managed to get a few good cucumbers to grow in a pots. They grew all up my front porch wall.

Latest posts