cukes and sunflowers

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted some sunflowers around my cukes so they can grow up them. I think I planted them too thick and am worried about the cukes getting enough sun. I was thinking I would just thin the leaves off the sunflowers to allow more light to get by. What are y'alls thoughts?

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That would probably help. Or you could always just thin the sunflowers out a little since being too close will probably stunt them a little. Maybe pull every other one? I'm always thinning stuff around here if it looks too close, but that's just me.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to thin them because they are very big. but that may be an even better reason to thin them...

I guess if this is the worst problem I'm having... :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its good your sunflowers are getting big! Mine are still like 2" off the ground, and I was going to do the same thing with the cukes going up them..... but I think there isn't enough light and I don't want o rip out pretty sunflowers.

Take some pics... how close are they really?! :p

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I understand. But you could justify it by thinking about how much water and nutrients the sunflowers will rob from your cukes- not to mention sunlight!:hu

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They are way crowded, I will take before and after pictures and post them tonight (once I figure out how to post pictures, that is :hide ). Thanks guys!

Nevermind, my camera just decided to quit working. :rolleyes:

Latest posts