Culinary Herbs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mints are "nearly" invasive. I find very little use for any of it but, that's just me.

But what I use most of, that I don't grow, is chili powder and garlic.
We can think of hot peppers as culinary herbs. Surely, So Lucky, you don't use more than what a few plants would produce - right? Why not grow 'em?

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_1697.JPG

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mints are "nearly" invasive. I find very little use for any of it but, that's just me.

We can think of hot peppers as culinary herbs. Surely, So Lucky, you don't use more than what a few plants would produce - right? Why not grow 'em?

Steve
Can you suggest a good pepper to grow to dry and grind into chili powder, and also one for paprika? I have checked into this but I get a lot of conflicting information.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sometimes get live plants shipped to me from this sight. Last year I got Paprika, this year I'll get Cayenne because my daughter-in law asked for it. When the peppers get ripe I cut them up to get the seeds and bad parts out and freeze them. When I have enough I put the peppers in my dehydrator and then grind them to a powder. She gives you a description of the peppers and how they are normally used. I'm not sure how you would find "chile" peppers, maybe look under all heat levels on the chart to the left.

To order from her you have to get a minimum of six plants. As you can see there are different heats of paprika. I had decent success with Alma and Antohi Romanian but those may not be the heat you want.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.a...hID=&StockStatusID=0&NewProduct=&ImageHeader=

If you don't want to order from her maybe you can read the descriptions and see which varieties you want to try. As you can see there are a tremendous number of varieties.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love fresh herbs but my plants died quite a while ago and I haven't got them going again. I do have a plant of cilantro.

I like to grow herbs in pots. I had a big pot with rosemary, thyme, garlic chives, and sweet basil but they died after a few years (basil had to be replanted every year). I also used to grow mint in the yard. I love the smell of it when mowed but I probably would keep it potted now.

Herbs are so easily dried. Just clip a few leaves and put in a brown paper bag and leave in a warm place.

I would love a bay plant. It is one of my favorite seasonings.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Icertuche, is bay leaf hard for you to grow? I tried twice growing it in pots before I had good success with it in a hugh pot. Mine gets morning sun and afternoon shade on my deck. I just top dress with my compost.

Mary

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't actually grown bay before but am hoping to one day soon. I would think like most plants well drained soil, regular watering and the right amount of sunlight. I need to investigate the needs. I think I know a nursery that might sell the plants/trees. I think it might be able to be grown outside in a protective area in my zone 7.