Curse you little bunnies!

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Grrrr...I'm so mad :somad

I thought I had my garden bunny-proof...well I did until my dog decided to dig a small hole under the fence. Of course they found their way in... :bun

This evening I went out doing my usual check of the garden and realized all of my beautiful, young bibb lettuce was eaten to the nubs! :barnie

The chickens lucked out and got the remaining pieces. My dog is lucky he chased off a raccoon tonight, he has redeemed himself. So much for lettuce this year!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can certainly understand.

Cottontails have been so common in the neighborhood of my larger veggie garden. One year, they made it almost impossible to have any green beans at all. And, setting up a trellis for rabbit-ravaged peas is disheartening.

This may be why I haven't seen a bunny nearby this year.

owl.jpg

This is a not-so-cool photograph unless you realize that I'm actually standing a few feet inside my garden! This was the 'o7 season. Momma Owl was at the other end of the neighbor's hayshed. As these babies grew up - things changed around the neighborhood.

somethings008.jpg

Steve & the owls

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You lucky duck! I wish I had a few of those in my neighborhood...I do have a few hawks that hang around. Although, with the gigantor bunny population this year, I'm sure they are busy :bun

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't have bunnies, but I must deal with their evil cousins....fluffy-tailed tree rats!!!

I am going to have to serious about them. I busted one in my duck pen today helping himself to the feed

Caddyshack_91085_7.jpg

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, I'm with ya on the frustration. Went out this morning and all my green beans are gone!! I have my garden fenced in with lattice, but they get right thru the holes. Was trying to keep the garden from my ducks, but seems squirrels and rabbits have other plans!

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So I'm really getting frustrated now with one rabbit eating ALL my green beans, night after night. Can anyone give me a sure way to get rid of a rabbit besides shooting it? Have thought of trapping it but looking for any other method that will work!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hit one with a rock one time and he acted as tho' he hadn't a clue where that thing came from, why, or what he should do about it . . . :rolleyes: He was in no greater hurry to leave the garden than before the rock bounced off his sorry hide.

A past garden had a chain-link fence along one side. I saw rabbits pass right thru that fence without hardly slowing down. It would take tighter weave than that to keep them out.

Dad spent a good 2 months trying to trap a rabbit in his yard. He had a live trap and used various vegetables and breakfast cereal for bait. It didn't work.

Very few rabbit species are endangered. Guard your garden - you aren't growing all those healthful vegetables for the neighborhood rodents.

Steve

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I hit one with a rock one time
hee hee hee for heavens sakes, honey- what an arm! how did you manage to hit him!?

so here's what i do for the evil hopping menace that openly mocks me from just beyond our gate....

1. i went and got deer netting and put it all around my gardens - at $14 its a steal - it comes 7ft tall but i cut in half and get twice as much!
2. took dogs out by garden with a brush and scattered their dog hair everywhere
3. stood out there until dogs peed on everything - to be fair, i taught my dogs to mark the property line to establish a territory
4. took used kitty litter out there and sprinkled a little here and there
5. stood there and shook my fist

and finally

mocked those when they were finally defeated and moved on to the neighbor's property. and it didnt hurt that our barncat, Shiney, brought me a haunch one time. i love that cat.

Latest posts