Cut flower garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want to start a thread about cut flowers.

This is my third year and, so far, the most "determined" year to grow flowers. There are so many to learn and enjoy.

Echinacea from seeds - I transplanted them in different locations in the garden. Those are facing the west and receive the most sunlight. They have much shorter stems.
6047_0.jpg

Dwarf snapdragons - snapdragons are notorious for super tiny seeds, but they are not too difficult to grow.
6053.jpg

Summer Asters, about to blossom - I sowed both summer and autumn asters this spring. So far, they are doing fine.
6054.jpg

Still in seedling stage: baby's breath, love in the mist, Flirty Skirts Pansies
6050.jpg

6051.jpg

The flower I want to try in 2023 is lisianthus, and it will be a good challenge. 🖖

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to start a thread about cut flowers.

This is my third year and, so far, the most "determined" year to grow flowers. There are so many to learn and enjoy.

Echinacea from seeds - I transplanted them in different locations in the garden. Those are facing the west and receive the most sunlight. They have much shorter stems.
View attachment 50512
Dwarf snapdragons - snapdragons are notorious for super tiny seeds, but they are not too difficult to grow.
View attachment 50513
Summer Asters, about to blossom - I sowed both summer and autumn asters this spring. So far, they are doing fine.
View attachment 50514

Still in seedling stage: baby's breath, love in the mist, Flirty Skirts Pansies
View attachment 50515
View attachment 50516

The flower I want to try in 2023 is lisianthus, and it will be a good challenge. 🖖
Great pics! Thx for sharing! ♥️😍

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have daisies that I showed the picture of in the Coffee topic. I never cut them, but just wanted the girls to see them. I have also hollyhocks and I never cut them either. I have Echinacea too. I started all these years ago inside from seeds and then transplanted outside and then they have been reseeding. The weeds and lack of care was starting wipe them out so I started a lot last summer from seed and planted and I put them in a bad place where it is hard to get water to them. I am thinking of digging some of them up and transplanting and digging daisies up for DD's yard.

I think hollyhocks are my favorite to look at but the best smell in the world is bee balm. My yard starts to smell like some old fashioned long ago smell. I just cannot describe it, but I think it happens at night mostly and probably after watering. Even DS likes it and has noticed. I just smelled it today and the bee balm has just started to bloom. I have it in the front yard and out here in the back by the house and I transplanted a lot last year into the garden and they are huge.

I also have Delphinium that I started a few years ago and the weeds took over, but they have been spreading and I want to redo my flowers for next year.

I guess really all I usually cut are roses and lilacs, but I am not sure why. I guess the smell.

Your Echinacea are beautiful!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Friend wondered how I got my Asiatic lillies to grow so tall, about 3 ft. I pointed out that they had been planted on the eastern edge but right next to the north side of my garage.
It reaches for the light.
Something to consider, if you like that look! :cool:
I have some Asiatic Lillies growing at the back of our pond, which has almost no direct sunlight. However, I am surprised that they are growing quite well. This is their second year, and as you mentioned, they will try to reach for more light. Mine are also about your height. 🥰

And Oriental lilies, wow, are exaggerated - a few reached 6 ft, almost the same height as my young fruit trees.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have daisies that I showed the picture of in the Coffee topic. I never cut them, but just wanted the girls to see them. I have also hollyhocks and I never cut them either. I have Echinacea too. I started all these years ago inside from seeds and then transplanted outside and then they have been reseeding. The weeds and lack of care was starting wipe them out so I started a lot last summer from seed and planted and I put them in a bad place where it is hard to get water to them. I am thinking of digging some of them up and transplanting and digging daisies up for DD's yard.
I seldom sow directly, except carrots in the raised beds. It's difficult for any young plants to compete with weeds and endure bad weather conditions. For the annual flowers, I usually pinched them 2-3 times and kept them until they had robust root systems. They usually grow quite well after transplantation.
I think hollyhocks are my favorite to look at but the best smell in the world is bee balm. My yard starts to smell like some old fashioned long ago smell. I just cannot describe it, but I think it happens at night mostly and probably after watering. Even DS likes it and has noticed. I just smelled it today and the bee balm has just started to bloom. I have it in the front yard and out here in the back by the house and I transplanted a lot last year into the garden and they are huge.
I also love hollyhocks! But it is difficult for them to grow well here - too many pests. I did try several times and decided to give them up as it takes too much effort to care for them.
I also have Delphinium that I started a few years ago and the weeds took over, but they have been spreading and I want to redo my flowers for next year.

I guess really all I usually cut are roses and lilacs, but I am not sure why. I guess the smell.

Your Echinacea are beautiful!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My yard starts to smell like some old fashioned long ago smell.
“Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.” ~ Helen Keller

Those bee balm plants are sisters to the anise hyssop :). It's one reason that it is appreciated as an herbal tea. The flowers are a little better than 'okay' but, of course, the leaves are what is valued for the tea.

Lilies. One should have a clear idea of fragrance for the variety before planting and planning use as cut flowers.

Our zinnias are beginning to bloom. Oh, no particular fragrance there ... ;). I like the subtle fragrance of snapdragons :). The butterfly snaps might be appropriate for Evelyn, @Gardening with Rabbits . She wouldn't be as tempted as with regular snaps to be looking and looking into each flower ... until damage.

:) Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a three yr old hollyhock at my old home in OR. Since its not yet gone up for sale (the home), what can I do with it? Its so pretty, going straight up right next to a red bud tree.
follow+1, I also want to know.

We also have a lovely one in Cologne garden. Compared with the plants I bought from the gardening center or grew from seed, that one is so healthy.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
“Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.” ~ Helen Keller

Those bee balm plants are sisters to the anise hyssop :). It's one reason that it is appreciated as an herbal tea. The flowers are a little better than 'okay' but, of course, the leaves are what is valued for the tea.

Lilies. One should have a clear idea of fragrance for the variety before planting and planning use as cut flowers.

Our zinnias are beginning to bloom. Oh, no particular fragrance there ... ;). I like the subtle fragrance of snapdragons :). The butterfly snaps might be appropriate for Evelyn, @Gardening with Rabbits . She wouldn't be as tempted as with regular snaps to be looking and looking into each flower ... until damage.

:) Steve
BUTTERFLY snapdragons, she would love. I asked her what do you want for your birthday and she said a butterfly and I said a REAL butterfly and she giggled and said YES. LOL I made beds and pillows for them for the floor and her fabric is butterflies. I had a huge anise hyssop plant in the yard for a couple of years and I use to love the smell and I would taste the leaves an anybody in the yard I had them taste. I forgot all about it.

Latest posts