Cutting back chives???

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The chive bed has been blooming for almost a couple of months now and the blooms are looking a little ragged now.

Would it be a good idea to gradually cut them back to encourage new growth? We are approaching the hot part of summer.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes but there are so many left. Where I did cut some there is new growth but you know how we can go into weeks of relentless heat, I thought that they might get stressed if I really gave them a whack job.

What are your thoughts?
7434_chives_and_bees_5-30-2011_002.jpg

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a great looking patch! I usually cut mine back just from use :D You could just cut the blooms off and leave the rest. I don't see a need to cut everything back.

To not let all those blooms go to waste, fill a glass jar with them, pour vinegar over the top and put it somewhere cool and dark for a couple of weeks. Strain and bottle.

I use chive vinegar to make salad dressing. Great flavor! :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I consistently whack them back close to ground level, one section at a time. That way I always have some I can use as chives. It does not hurt mine at all. They grow back quickly.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:)Thanks for the tip Wifezilla, I will pick some this morning before the bees arrive.

This patch started last year with some clumps from my MIL. Behind those chives is a clump of oregano from her as well. Can't wait to see that after it gets aclimated.

Thanks for all the advice. Now that I figured out how to post pictures there will be more to come.:)

I just notice that they are starting to form seeds, but I am still going to put some in vinegar.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Common chives are pretty much cut and come again. I've even seen them growing wild in a lawn where they get mowed regularly. You have to be a bit more careful with garlic chives. they can only take so much cutting.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Learned something new today! I didn't know that if you cut off the blossoms, they would keep growing. And, putting them in a jar with vinegar...who knew. I guess when I get home from work, I know what I will be doing for a few minutes. Thanks for posting RidgebackRanch!

Latest posts