Cutting back chives???

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking of saving some of the seeds to see if I can grow them elsewhere. Gotta love pretty edible things that do well out here. :)

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
7434_chive_vinegar_001.jpg

Is this what you meant Wifezilla? It's been two days and it smells so good. Going to make some dressing with it tomorrow to put on greens from the garden!

Thank you so much for the idea!:)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's the ticket!!!

:D

I have a jar sitting in my cupboard that looks just like that :D
I let it set for a few weeks then strain and bottle.

That and taragon vinegar are my two favorites. Great ways to keep getting those flavors in your food all year round.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, are you adding fresh or dried tarragon to the vinegar? Do you keep the plant material in the vinegar- or remove it, after some period of time? I love basil, but I really love tarragon!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use fresh herbs and strain everything out before the final bottling. You could put in a fresh sprig at bottling time if you wanted to make it decorative.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Kind of thread hijacking here-- but, Wifezilla-- I've never made my own salad dressing-- so can you please share some ideas?

I filled a quart jar of blossoms today- and topped it off with vinegar---- already a GORGEOUS lavender color!!! I really want to make something awesome out of it when it's ready! So pretty!

wifezilla said:
That's a great looking patch! I usually cut mine back just from use :D You could just cut the blooms off and leave the rest. I don't see a need to cut everything back.

To not let all those blooms go to waste, fill a glass jar with them, pour vinegar over the top and put it somewhere cool and dark for a couple of weeks. Strain and bottle.

I use chive vinegar to make salad dressing. Great flavor! :D

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep it really simple. Chive vinegar, olive, walnut or almond oil (walnut is really yum), fresh ground pepper, sea salt, a little fresh thyme, and a touch of honey. Sorry, i don't measure so I can't be more specific. just taste as you go.

This dressing is really good on a salad made of cucumber slice, grape tomatoes, and cubes of mozzarella cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgebackranch - with a bed that big, I would just transplant a shovelful of them wherever you want them. The plants started from seed will be pretty small for a while, so I'd just spread out the big ones you have - and they'll gradually seed themselves and expand if you let them.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're right but I kind of have that bug that many of us have, but I really do think that's best and will probably do that. They would make a wonderful addition to the flower beds around the house. :)