Cutting Globes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a very successful set-up in the greenhouse where I worked. Rooting cuttings was almost foolproof. (It was only after leaving that job that my own fooling around with cuttings proved hit-&-miss :(.)

The set-up would be too expensive for most home gardeners. It was a raised bench with perlite, about 4" deep. A plastic film tent covered this bench, it was only about 4' square. The cuttings were set in the perlite and in the middle of things was something like this automatic valve: Leaf Mist Control.

The electronic valve on the little pvc pipe system would open to drop the mist on the cuttings. That was it. I don't even remember using rooting hormone - the thing just worked. See, you could replace the electronic gizmos with somebody checking the cuttings with spray bottle in hand, every hour or so thru a sunny day. Overnight, they'd probably get some sleep.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a very successful set-up in the greenhouse where I worked. Rooting cuttings was almost foolproof. (It was only after leaving that job that my own fooling around with cuttings proved hit-&-miss :(.)

The set-up would be too expensive for most home gardeners. It was a raised bench with perlite, about 4" deep. A plastic film tent covered this bench, it was only about 4' square. The cuttings were set in the perlite and in the middle of things was something like this automatic valve: Leaf Mist Control.

The electronic valve on the little pvc pipe system would open to drop the mist on the cuttings. That was it. I don't even remember using rooting hormone - the thing just worked. See, you could replace the electronic gizmos with somebody checking the cuttings with spray bottle in hand, every hour or so thru a sunny day. Overnight, they'd probably get some sleep.

Steve

We had a similar setup in the greenhouse where I worked in the 70's only difference, we used sand. In recent years at home I used a cloning machine, DS#2 has it now.

Annette

Latest posts