Dad Threw Roommate Out Last Night.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't blame your dad. Good for him.

When in laws brought fav g'son to visit (he was 2-3?) he kept walking over my dog-kids kicking him every time. I told him don't do that. He looked at me and did it again-he was wearing cowboy boots. Mid stride over dog, I picked him up and whooped him on seat of education. Made a lot of noise but with his padding, no pain. He went running to g'ma who was ready to fight. Told her story and IF she didn't like it, see door. They left next day.

Good for you Seed. I can't abide disrespectful children. In their own home I would never interfere and discipline, but at my home, watch out. My House, My Rules.

One time my husbands parents stopped in to visit, brought a spoiled 3 year old grand daughter. She was sitting on grandmas lap fiddling with g'mas purse which my MIL had repeatedly taken out of her hands. Finally the granddaughter slapped g'ma in the face. I'd had my limit and swooped her off g'mas lap and took her outside, gave her a good swat on the behind got in her face and told her- Don't you EVER EVER hit your grandma again.
She wasn't hurt of course, just angry that I had the temerity to discipline her. She sat back on grandmas lap for the rest of the evening and gave me ugly looks.

Unfortunately I was the bad guy in the family for doing that. Nobody ever had the guts to say anything to my face, but they all talked about it amongst themselves. I didn't care a hoot. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Little brat.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amen! I had to explain that concept to my DIL just the other day here at my house...she may be the mama and decide on discipline at her house, but at my house we have rules and the rules are enforced, no matter whose child it is and whether Mom and Dad are there are not. If the parents don't know or accept or act on the house rules, then I step in and do so.

I have a three chances rule but it's actually two chances...third time gets you a spanking. If I have to get up out of my current position to do something about misbehavior, it's a guaranteed spanking. That way the kids know exactly where they stand at Granny's house, no guessing, no ifs or maybes....it's as certain as death or taxes that this will happen if I am not obeyed and it's not done in a timely fashion.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation. If MIL allows herself to be hit my her "precious" I might allow it and just laugh....... If her "precious" decides she can do that to my family, animals, things, well, we know WHAT I did.

Dad always told me that you are born into a family-no choice-but you pick your friends. I've always valued good friends over family I never see. Now if they are family and friends, better yet...

@Beekissed You are nicer than me. One clarification of the rules, second time, I'm in action-they won't like what they have earned.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation. If MIL allows herself to be hit my her "precious" I might allow it and just laugh....... If her "precious" decides she can do that to my family, animals, things, well, we know WHAT I did.

It's easy. My MIL is my family, and it was in my home.
My rule is no kid hits another family member in my home. Even if the family member that got hit set the situation up by never disciplining.

I just read that, and I should say, no person no matter how old hits another in my home. Obviously if it was an adult the action against the rule would not have been a swat on the butt.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When our kids were young, it was one warning and only one warning no matter where we were. Yes I spanked, they soon learned what would come if they didn't behave. If we were going out to a restaurant for dinner as a family which we didn't do very often, couldn't afford to, I'd give them a little pep talk before we went on how I expected them to behave.

Yes my kids got a spanking if they deserved one and I'm happy to say I was very proud mom of our three, they even got compliments for their good behavior and table manners from more than one waitress. Our oldest, was the one who had me pulling my hair out on more than one occasion, yes we had one of those, he actually came up to me one day and thanked me for teaching him good table manners, mom, those kids in the next booth almost made me hurl.
Spankings never hurt our kids one little bit, all three turned out to be responsible, productive adults, in turn their kids have been raised the same way. Not so today, you go out to a restaurant, kids running up and down, throwing food around, screaming at the top of their voices, playing with the condiments, creamers and sugar packets on the table while their parents sit there and say nothing, or in a very low soft voice Johnny or.... please don't do that, it just falls on deaf ears, they are allowed to express themselves, I think that's how it goes, if they were my kids I'd express them alright. You look at a good part of the youth today and you wonder why they behave the way they do, give me a break.

While I'm on my soapbox, kids should be taught how to deal with failure and at a young age, we've all failed at something. When kids get out of school today they don't seem to be able to cope in the real world, there's nobody out there to hold their hands. They should be taught at an early age things in the real world aren't going to be handed to them on a silver platter, that anything is possible if you are willing to work for it.

Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight Now you will hurt their self esteem and not allow their personality to develop. Man, you are tough......

Yes, I swatted butts. Later, it was running around house or made them go to work with me when I had a nasty job that day.

Made my son help put up signs in heat, mosquito were thick all the time lecturing him on either using his brain or back in life. When we got home, inside he went where his mom asked him what he learned. His response...........Dad must be stupid as he has a hard, nasty job.... :frow

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's funny! Sometimes kids don't quite hit the target on the lessons we teach them. :lol:

My boys got spanked when appropriate, and one common discipline was raking our verrrry long dirt driveway. I'd start a kid on either end and by the time they both made it to the middle they had control of their tempers.
Dang, I had a very tidy driveway for several years!

Latest posts