Dad Threw Roommate Out Last Night.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Nyboy Good on your dad! I would've done the same. Years ago when I was in my teens, my parents put their house up for sale. One agent brought a couple round for a viewing while I was at home by myself. They were quite rude to me, so I left them to it and went about my business, waiting for them to finish up and leave… Happened to look through my bedroom window after awhile, they were in the backyard at the time, and saw my dearly loved and super sweet dog go up to them to say hello.. The man kicked my dog. I went outside, showed the agent where the gate is and that he can take my parents' house off their listings.

My parents didn't argue when I told them what happened later that evening. They sold their house through another agent and the above mentioned didn't get another viewing.

I really loved that dog.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
As kids we where hit but never beaten. We would get several warnings before being hit. In public 1 warning then hit at home maybe 2, the threat of embarrass me in public and you will be sorry was always at back of my mind. My father used his leather belt my mother what ever was near wooden spoons, brushes a shoe. All of my friends parents where the same, spare the rod spoil the child. Once when small my mother gave me several warnings, I told her if she hits me I was calling the police. I thought my mother would be terrified about police. I was shocked when she said go ahead call I even dial the number for you. She said you tell the police anything you want. Just know you will not be able to sit for a week after your call!!!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope (& trust) we all understand huge difference between spanking to correct VS child abuse. I would never tolerate child abuse. For me, spankings only work when dealer with child. As they get older and understand consequences of their actions, different reaction by me to their bad decisions.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope (& trust) we all understand huge difference between spanking to correct VS child abuse. I would never tolerate child abuse. For me, spankings only work when dealer with child. As they get older and understand consequences of their actions, different reaction by me to their bad decisions.

I agree, Seed, but the distinction gets fuzzy. I did spank my kids some, but I don't think I would if I had it all to do over again. Once the initial anger is diffused, we can usually find other ways to discipline those little urchins. And spanking with a switch or belt would be out.

I read an account, several years back, that really made me look at the practice of having the kid go out and find a "switch" with which to do the deed:

A little girl had misbehaved so her dad sent her out to find a stick for him to spank her with. She was gone a long time, and Dad, still angry, was just getting ready to yell out the back door when he saw her coming up the path carrying something. She had tears running down her face as she said "I looked and looked but couldn't find a stick, so I brought you this rock to hit me with."
Moral of story is that to a kid, it doesn't matter if it's a switch or a rock, you are still a big person beating a small person.

And Nyboy, I think your dad showed remarkable restraint in not clocking the old man.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just had a couple come visit with 5 little girls ages 2 to 11 years. Well behaved, mannerly, polite kids that were a joy to have here. Children take work. It is work to support them, work to wash their clothes, cook their meals, it is work to teach them how to act and behave. Unfortunately, a lot of parents do not invest the time, they don't do the work and they have a pack of brats.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my kids were old enough to understand consequences, I stopped using spankings. More what I used it for was younger ones who showed direct disobedience. At that age, it's more noise than pain. I am in no way advocating beating anyone. My Dad used a belt and I don't know that it left any long term bad effects. Usually after I had been warned to stop doing something-repeat offender......never said I was smart....

Latest posts